VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an IDE hard drive that does not get past the "checking drive integrity" it stays at 0% when using fdisk, I have tried deleting all partitions and making a new single primary partition with fdisk but I still get the 0% at checking drive integrity. I used GParted Live and made a Fat32 partition but when I go to install Windows 98Se it says something about the disk drive as being bad, I continue and it gets to the surface scan but I quit it as I already checked the drive with Hdat2. I also removed a HPA area using Hdat2 I didnt like it being there. Is my drive damaged? Is that the reason for the 0% status?

Reply 1 of 9, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 98 won't work with partition bigger then 137GB.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 3 of 9, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Srandista wrote:

Windows 98 won't work with partition bigger then 137GB.

Actually, it does not work with hard disks larger than 137 GB. You should still be able to install it, but it will destroy data when hitting the 137 GB boundary.

Reply 4 of 9, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure, now I will remember, that it applies for whole drive.

But on the other way, if you would be able to install Win 98 on that drive, you should be able to utilize whole disk with LBA48 patch installed with unofficial SP3, doesn't it?

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 5 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am using the 48bit LBA patch with my 98SE installations - for best result drop the suitable ESDI_506.PDR file in your 98SE cabs directory and run setup , the external file will be used instead of the stock one. I am using for several years now a 320GB drive with this patch and never had any issues.
BEWARE though, if you do it wrong you will get corruption after you go past the 128GB.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/78592-enable48bi … -137gb-barrier/

NEW WINDOWS INSTALLATIONS ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ If you are doing a clean install of Windows on a Computer where any of the d […]
Show full quote

NEW WINDOWS INSTALLATIONS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you are doing a clean install of Windows on a Computer where any of the
drives has a partition extending above the 137 GB limit, you must install the
patched ESDI_506.PDR before Windows has a chance to use its unpatched driver.
Corruption may occur before you can complete the installation otherwise.
If the Windows partition itself is above the 137 Gb limit, it will DEFINTELY
CRASH!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 9, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You also want to use FDISK, FORMAT, SCANDISK and DEFRAG from WinME as those work correctly with large drives while 98SE ones are going to cause trouble. IIRC DEFRAG will destroy your data while being much slower than ME's version too. MSFN has all the relevant info so spend some time there on the LBA48 related threads.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 9 of 9, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

WinME doesn't handle huge drives any better. Neither does Windows 2000

Windows 2000 can handle it. I am running it on a 300GB disk with FAT32. There is a registry key that needs to be added:

System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters\EnableBigLba
(DWORD value =1)

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad