VOGONS

First post, by Fimbulvetr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! This is my first post to vogons.... I joined as I've recently decided to get back into vintage DOS computer hardware instead of just emulation. I've had a long foray with vintage macs lately, but back in the 80s and 90s I always had PCs and miss using real hardware.

Anyways, I was wondering if someone could help me with a Compaq Deskpro 575 (75 mhz Pentium, 32 mb ram) I recently picked up. The riser board has a connector clearly marked for cd rom drives, but when I connect one the computer cannot find it. In the BIOS, there are only options for floppy drives and HDs under storage. This is from the hidden-partition BIOS software era of Compaq computers. Would re-installing the ROMpaq solve this problem, or am I SOL with this computer because the original owner didn't option an optical drive?

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 3, by Fimbulvetr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed the drivers, but they don't find the CD-ROM drive on boot. BIOS doesn't show a CD-ROM drive connected, and the Compaq system test just hangs on storage when an optical drive is connected. I tried a couple different optical drives, no luck.