VOGONS

First post, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What have you thought you'll never own (about retro stuff)? Either too expensive or just not interested at the time?

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 1 of 46, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never thought I would have a working Voodoo 2 SLI setup. Now I do. *Joy*

Now I think I will never have a Voodoo 3 PCI or a Voodoo 4/5.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 46, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

That! Also never thought I'd have so many different Creative SB cards 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 4 of 46, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Never thought I'd own a Libretto U100 due to crazy "collectors" prices but I found one on ebay recently for a bit of a bargain, might seem unremarkable to some but I've been fascinated with them ever since they came out, and before that the 20ct-110ct that came before it.

- P-MMX 200MHZ, PCChips M598LMR, Voodoo
- P-MMX 233MHz, FIC PA2013, S3 ViRGE + Voodoo
- PII 400MHz, MSI MS6119, ATI Rage Pro Turbo + Voodoo2 SLI
- PIII 1400MHz, ECS P6IPAT, Voodoo5 5500
- Toshiba Libretto 110CT, 300MHz, 96MB RAM

Reply 5 of 46, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Now I think I will never have a Voodoo 3 PCI or a Voodoo 4/5.

I got my voodoo 3 4 and 5 way after release. The voodoo 3 and 4 where great additions. The voodoo 5 didnt impress me as much.

I own so much stuff from years ago and feel I have enough.. The thing i never have is time to enjoy it all.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 6 of 46, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought I would never be able to get a Radeon HD3850, because of the outrageous prices of the card on ebay, until I found one locally for a price I never thought I'd find it... And now it's mine, although virtually, since it's been shipped just today.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 7 of 46, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In computing ? I thought I would never have a Bluw/White Power Mac. Really liked them when they were new.
When I got my first G3 iMac (1998 model), my hopes rised. I learned a lot with these outdated computers.

Initially, it was not easy to me. I had to open my mind and forget most I learned about operating real computers.
After two weaks or so, I finally made friends with the strange OS (esp. Mac OS 8/9).

For example, I lerarned, that you can't copy files to the OS 9 desktop by drag and drop (like you could on Win95 and OS X).
If you do, you actually move these files. Also the lack of file extensions and the use of a resource tree in filesystem was new to me.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 46, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought this about only Voodoo AGP card, which I can use in my "retro" rig, Voodoo 4 4500. But yeah, it somehow ended up in my collection. I'm quite proud about it, even tho it's one of my slowest card (but most rare on the other side).

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 9 of 46, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A Packard Bell 486 machine (prices on eBay were high), but, as luck would have it, I found a Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus, as well as the matching keyboard and mouse, and bought it for $17 + tax at a thrift store (worth every penny). I installed a new CMOS battery (the system needed it) on the battery jumper pinout, installed a CD drive (not period correct), Epson SD-800 Dual 3.5"/5.25" HD FDD (1.44MB/1.2MB), 2GB CF card, Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro (now a Sound Blaster 16 CT2740 + Yamaha DB50XG), 36MB RAM (2x 16MB SIMM-72 + 4MB onboard), Conner Tape drive (will be the ZIP 100 from a gutted PowerMac G3), 3Com EtherLink III (installed by the previous owner), Roland MT-32 + keropi's Music Quest MPU-401 clone card (love it), Lo-Tech Tandy 3-Voice Sound Card (made by Texelec), has Windows 95C installed, and it has the Cirrus Logic CL-GD5428 integrated. My plans are to get an ISA IDE/FDD controller card that has cache in place of the integrated one due to sluggishness with certain games, and the 3Com EtherLink III card will be in my Socket 7 build in the future.

I upgraded the CPU from the SX2-50 to a DX2-66, and it now has the DX4-100 OverDrive (5V) installed and it runs nicely.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 10 of 46, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The stuff I though I would never have tend to be items that are just rare. By rare I mean just that, very few come up for sale.

If you collect long enough even some of the rarities will end up in your collection.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 11 of 46, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never thought I would be able to get a Dell Optiplex GX150 (or any decent P3 tower with AGP for that matter) at a decent price because most eBay sellers think even the most common P3-era desktops are worth a crazy amount of money these days, I was lucky enough to find one at a price that wasn't stupidly expensive so now I have one. My black Dell setup is now complete (I also never would've thought I'd get a working black Dell CRT).

Oh, and I never thought I would have a working Voodoo 2 card, until I found one at a good price a few months ago.

Reply 12 of 46, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I felt the same way about the C64's being pricey, but, I did get two of them, both breadbins, for an average of $70/piece. However, the PSU the one came with had no 9VAC, so I got a serviceable one (new) and the system did work, until I blew the 2A fuse in the PSU and tossed the internal RF Modulator that had capacitor leakage, and the other system has an aftermarket case that makes the C64 look like the breadbin and C64C combined, but, it's a breadbin, and that works. Just need to make a 1541 emulator (Uno2IEC) and connect the Uno board to my Raspberry Pi system or my Pentium 4 laptop(s).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 13 of 46, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never thought I would own a P4. They don't seem to have the same vintage appeal as P3 and older. I have never wanted a P4 in the past, but then my wife's software company downsized and cleaned out. All of a sudden I had my pickins among two dozen P4's. I kept 3 of the best cases, all the PSU's, RAM, CPUs, CD/DVD-ROMs, HDD's, floppy, cables, and motherboards, then recycled the remaining cases. I also kept a few rack mount P3 & P4 servers. Anyway, my least desirable era of older computer now flourishes at my home. I never thought I would have these and still don't really want them. I've been waiting for their appeal to grow on me.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 15 of 46, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

Anyway, my least desirable era of older computer now flourishes at my home. I never thought I would have these and still don't really want them. I've been waiting for their appeal to grow on me.

Yeah... if you find an appeal, let me know.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 16 of 46, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last sound card I got myself were a Gravis Ultrasound Classic. Must been a soft moment because I got an obvious fetish for old PCI sound cards. 🤣

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 18 of 46, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've always kind of looked down on systems newer than Pentium MMX and ATX form-factor (getting AT stuff is not hard in Russia). Just felt too modern to me. However, my last Pentium 3/Voodoo 3 build quickly became my favourite machine.

qyuXQZMm.jpg

It has an AWE32 with 28MB of RAM, a Diamond Multimedia MX300 and a Soundblaster Live. Also, awesome InWin H500 desktop case, an IBM Model M keyboard and a NOS 17" CTX PR711FL CRT screen. I probably need to get a better mouse and speakers, though.

It's just so convenient! No jumpers, rock stable (it has an Asus P3B-F board) and pretty fast. Just works. I've been playing a lot of late 90s game on it, including Jagged Alliance 2, Sacrifice, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament and Tiberian Sun. Also finally got around to trying different soundfonts, including Chorium, EMU's 8MBGMSFX and others.

I'll probably make a tower case build that will host several ISA soundcards, including Gravis Ultrasound PNP (once I get it fixed), Yamaha SW60XG and MusicQuest clone for my Roland MT-32. It's either going to be a fast 486 build (so that I can run 386-class games on Turbo but also things like Crusader: No Remorse that don't run on P3) or a Pentium Pro. I have a nice Asus Socket 8 ATX board so in theory I can connect two builds using a KVM.

Last edited by jheronimus on 2018-03-02, 11:08. Edited 2 times in total.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog