VOGONS

First post, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since some people on eBay seem to think that 8-bit VGA cards are made of gold and price them accordingly, I decided to test some of my 16-bit VGA cards.

I knew from previous experience that Trident 8900 cards would work fine so I tested a few more (see photos) and they all worked flawlessly!

DSC_0289.JPG
Filename
DSC_0289.JPG
File size
1.77 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
DSC_0290.JPG
Filename
DSC_0290.JPG
File size
1.84 MiB
Views
File license
DSC_0291.JPG
Filename
DSC_0291.JPG
File size
1.98 MiB
Views
File license

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 1 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the feedback! My dad also liked the Trident 8900. Had one in his 386. I believe it either was a B or D revision.
Anyway, the Trident 8900 never caused me any troubles and is also the official graphics card in DOSemu.
What I like about it is its ability to switch to different video modes like CGA, EGA and MGA (Hercules) by using a mode utility.
In an XT-machine, this comes in handy. So someone can force a specific video mode, if a games uses auto detection.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 5, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It can be a bit hit and miss in my experience. Some VGA chips will work in an 8-bit slot, but the card's BIOS contains AT instructions, so won't work on 8088/8086 systems.

I have a couple of Trident 8900D based cards, and only one of them works in PC or XT systems.

Making a list of compatible cards sounds like a great idea.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 3 of 5, by SanguineBrah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Trident 8900D card which unfortunately does not seem to work in an XT clone system even with the 8-bit jumpers set, which I assume is due to the bios containing AT instructions as mentioned above. The bios is marked C4.5.

I wonder if it would be possible to downgrade the bios to a compatible one. Not sure if it's accurate but dosdays.co.uk lists the only other known bios version for this card as C4.4 so perhaps this is the version that works. Can anybody confirm this? It would great if somebody could dump this bios version so that I can try it out.

Reply 5 of 5, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the bigger issue is that most BIOS for 16bit cards is built on 286+ cpu instructions, thats what I ran into, and running a V20 mitigates it a bit

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--