VOGONS

First post, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So after acquiring various computers over the years, stripping them, repairing them, etc., I have just thrown the old modems in a box rather than recycle or toss them.

I am doing a bit of cleaning at the moment. I will probably get to the box before too long.

Wondering if any of you parts guys can mention some items worth pulling. Offhand, I know I can harvest some old caps (yay), jumpers, jumper blocks, transformers (though I don't really use those), and there might be some DIP sockets among other things?

The only other crazy thing is I suppose I could use the PCB for Frankenstein ISA card development.

Any thoughts?

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 1 of 2, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've kept a couple of external 56K modems if by chance I'd ever need to use one again, but PCI Winmodems are completely useless and I doubt they'd ever be useful in the future.

The Winmodems I come across get shot to pieces with my air rifle. 😈

Reply 2 of 2, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some modems have their firmware stored in a 1~2 megabit Flash ROM chip, probably the most useful/valuable thing you could salvage off them.
Also there could be some low capacity RAM, a serial EEPROM, small relays, zener diodes, varistors, bridge rectifiers, DIP switch blocks, logic ICs, 3.5mm audio jacks, volume potentiometers, small speakers, crystal oscillators, among other parts depending on the age and features of the particular modem.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com