VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trying to install an ASUS P5N-D SLI Motherboard for a system I want to build.

The system has a Intel Q9550 Core 2 Quad Processor in and 6 GB RAM, 650W PSU.

When I power the system on with the 24-Pin Power Connector and the 4 Pin Power Connector, the system will turn on and then shut off within 2 - 15 seconds. When I power the system on with only the 24-Pin Connector, the system will turn on and run, but no POST, no video, nothing. Tried removing everything but one Video Card, Memory, Mouse, Keyboard and same things happen....Also tried each stick of RAM on its own.

When I have the motherboard tester plugged in and power it on with only the 24-Pin connector, nothing shows up on the tester. I cant test with the 4 Pin Power also plugged in as its shuts off.

Is my board bad? Or is there something else that needs done? I am guessing its not booting with only the 24-Pin in due to not having the 4-Pin also plugged in, but I cant figure out why its shutting off with the 4 Pin plugged in.

Reply 2 of 11, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You need the 4 pin ATX 12V connector to power the cpu. Withoui it, there will be no boot, because the CPU does not get any power.

Now, as for your problem, there are 3 possible sources, bad CPU, bad PSU or bad motherboard. If the PSU is known good, it is likely the motherboard, it is virtually never the CPU in my experience.

My suspicion is either dead capacitors or dead power phases. That your board only has this behavior when the 12V plug is connected pretty much narrows it down already to the CPU and/or its VRMs.

Reply 4 of 11, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Smack2k wrote:

I can try a different CPU and see what happens

Isn't that one of the boards that for some strange reason (ask nVidia why) only supports the first generation Core 2 quads and not the second (45nm) generation?

I don't think they have any issues with later 45nm dual core CPUs or "pin (pad) modified" 45nm Xeon 54xx quads though...

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 6 of 11, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, according to product site, board should be compatible with that C2Q 9550, but you have to update BIOS for support of that CPU!

Do you know, which version of BIOS and which CPU revision are you using?

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 7 of 11, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need to check but first gotta get an older core2quad proc (Q6700) I have in it and see what comes up, if anything. That one requires an older BIOS so hopefully works. If not will drop a Core2 Duo in it and check...

Reply 8 of 11, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Q6700 seems to be supported with initial version of BIOS. If motherboard and PSU is are alright, it should work, even if BIOS was untouched.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 9 of 11, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Different PSU, Q6700 CPU Installed...Same issue, starts and immediately stops on boot....

All I have setup in the board on a cardboard box, Mouse, Keyboard, Video Card, Known Good RAM (1 Stick of 2 GB), and the PSU......

EDIT - Its acting the same way it does with no CPU / Heatsink attached to the CPU as it does when the CPU / Heatsink is attached.....could it not be recognizing the Heatsink / Fan?

Reply 10 of 11, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When plugging 4/8-pin EPS CPU power makes board not do anything, it's either PSU or MB.
If PSU is fine, something shorts 4-pin or gets too hot, which makes board shut down within seconds.
Check if thermal pads and paste on VRM and chipsets are worth anything at this point.
Overheating chipset/VRM can make this problem occur.

If everything else fails, you can try forcing board to not shut down by manually connecting green and black cables on 24-pin (while it's plugged in board).
HOWEVER there is HIGH risk of VRM type of failure shortly after board stays powered after notmal shutdown point, so DO NOT install ANYTHING on that board when doing this test.

157143230295.png

Reply 11 of 11, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I noticed the heatsink over the Chipset and VRM was really loose. Upon releasing the feet, I found that one of the Chips is all busted up.....no clue how it got that way, but it explains things...

Board is a loss....onto another one!!

Thanks for all the help!!