VOGONS

First post, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just snagged one of these on feeBay, appears to be super socket 7, ATX, 3xISA+PCI+AGP, etc - but there is next to zero information online. Well, manualslib did have the manual which is nice, but no review or forum posts.

This is what i'm looking at: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/IxEAAOSw7p1apW91/s-l1600.jpg

Anyone come across one in the wild and have anything to say about it?

Reply 1 of 10, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was able to determine a few things pretty quickly.

The GA-586SGX is the ATX variant of the GA-586SG.
It is not technically a Super Socket 7 motherboard because it does not natively support 100MHz FSB.
For some reason, Gigabyte doesn't have a support page for it, but I expect that much of what exists for the GA-586SG will work.

As far as CPU compatibility, I'm uncertain if K6-2 and greater CPUs will work, but I think that there's a fair chance.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 2 of 10, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting...I found a few links (including gigabytes cpu compat chart) that indicates it will work with k6-2/3...whether it will work with the plus variants will be to find out. Thanks!

Reply 4 of 10, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you need it, you can get the latest bios here -

(Apr.09, 1998)

1. Change week number calculation error (before Feb). Year number should be saved before convert BCD to HEX

https://web.archive.org/web/20000619151101fw_ … emp/5sgx111.zip

Reply 5 of 10, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's sure rare and interesting. If I had owned this board I would test its undocumented bus speed settings. It has PLL52C64-05BSC clock generator and I couldn't find the datasheet for it. It's AT variant has a similar PLL52C64-05CSC chip. I would also try it with Tillamook.

Reply 6 of 10, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually just got the AT version of this motherboard last week (GA-586SG). Haven't done much with it yet other then just verify that it works. Seems like a nice board though, easy enough to adjust settings via the dip switches and the manual is available on Gigabyte's website (at least for the AT version, but I guess much of the same info applies looking at both of these boards).

Mostly everything on the GA-586SGX is laid out much nicer compared to the AT version... you don't have the problem I'll run into as I begin doing my next Socket 7 build with this board, with the CPU being located beside the PCI slots, meaning you are limited in the length of the cards you can use for most of the slots ... 🙁 . Plus you have the extra ISA slot!

EDIT: Oh, I haven't got around to trying a K6-2 with it, but I assume it should work once I update the BIOS as one of the last updates apparently added support for them.

Last edited by Gered on 2018-03-12, 23:31. Edited 2 times in total.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 7 of 10, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gered wrote:

I actually just got the AT version of this motherboard last week (GA-586SG). Haven't done much with it yet other then just verify that it works. Seems like a nice board though, easy enough to adjust settings via the dip switches and the manual is available on Gigabyte's website (at least for the AT version, but I guess much of the same info applies looking at both of these boards).

Mostly everything on the GA-586SGX is laid out much nicer compared to the AT version... you don't have the problem I'll run into as I begin doing my next Socket 7 build with this board, with the CPU being located beside the PCI slots, meaning you are limited in the length of the cards you can use for most of the slots ... 🙁 . Plus you have the extra ISA slot!

We should compare builds once we are done 😀

Reply 8 of 10, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haha, that could be fun. 😜 Not sure what you were planning for yours. I'm still undecided on some things myself. Mainly it's just to make use of a Baby AT case I have sitting around and also because I always felt like I "cheated" a bit by using an OEM machine for my existing Socket 7 build (Dell XPS m200a).

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 9 of 10, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gered wrote:

Haha, that could be fun. 😜 Not sure what you were planning for yours. I'm still undecided on some things myself. Mainly it's just to make use of a Baby AT case I have sitting around and also because I always felt like I "cheated" a bit by using an OEM machine for my existing Socket 7 build (Dell XPS m200a).

I have a long-dormant project to build a Socket 7 system into a Lian Li HTPC case (PC-V800)...I want to be able to swap ISA sound cards in and out regularly which means I want something on my desk, preferably flat, with an easy-release panel removal mechanism. I actually have a old school desktop case, but it is AT and to get access you need to remove the entire 3 sided top which feels like it is made out of cast iron and weighs about 10kg. Only problem is I will need to jury rig a slimline power supply above the CPU in order to make room for long ISA sound cards...and I've just been far to lazy to take on something like this recently. If I get it done some time this year I will be happy 😜

Reply 10 of 10, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah i am also pretty interested in this board. never knew about this model but there is a 586sgm model on gigabyte's support site, which looks similar to this one but without the 72pin simm slots and is a bit narrower.
in general sis5591 boards are quite rare, so far i have only seen 3 or 4 of them in my life and they were all in very bad condition so i didn't get one. i wonder how they perform compared to the via vp3/mvp3.