SSD, Windows 98, Worth it?

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 81, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
apricot wrote on 2024-02-25, 13:22:

somebody out there might be able to write a program for TRIM for WIN95/98

The late rloew did just that. Haven't tried it myself since I usually reformat my machines often enough, but all his other work was solid so this will be too.

And while this thread is already necro'd:

swaaye wrote on 2018-03-19, 18:21:

even if you somehow do manage to write tens of terabytes and expend your SSD, they are pretty cheap these days. Terabytes - a storage concept that was unimaginable to me in 1999.

We've reached the point where I start stockpiling them, because outside of the used market I start seeing less and less SSDs available that are small enough for older machines. Precisely because the TB concept was unimaginable, so those gargantuan disk sized weren't properly supported.

Reply 81 of 81, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elszgensa wrote on 2024-02-25, 13:39:
apricot wrote on 2024-02-25, 13:22:

somebody out there might be able to write a program for TRIM for WIN95/98

The late rloew did just that. Haven't tried it myself since I usually reformat my machines often enough, but all his other work was solid so this will be too.

I've used it, didn't like the system that had IDE to SATA adapter and just freezed the PC but on another system that has the SSD connected directly via SATA it seems to work just fine.

Though I've yet to hear of anyone who has managed to get their Win9x system choked for never running TRIM.