VOGONS

First post, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Motherboard ASUS P5P800-VM(Intel 865PE chipset)
Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz
512MB DDR 400
Radeon 9600 Pro
SB Live! Value CT4780

here are some pictures:
Full album:https://imgur.com/a/XKBS5

HljaN5Gg.jpg
U6xgZVog.jpg
sofBvi0g.jpg
onMpGF6g.jpg
yHkVerYg.jpg
VCNjgwYg.jpg
RUebb7Pg.jpg
do84JBZg.jpg
HoN5E28g.jpg
z8n5CSdg.jpg
VCNjgwYg.jpg

The issue: on windows, or ms-dos mode nothing can detect and if any game or application tries to play a digitized sample or fm synth sound, the machine locks up.
On windows games and application the card works as intended.

Edit: things that i changed without sucess: setting irq5 to reserved, moving the card to a different pci slot,different drivers.

Last edited by .legaCy on 2018-03-25, 22:15. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the pics. ^^

(In case you haven't read it, there's an interesting thread by Stiletto regarding imgur.
The style of that site may has changed, but last time I checked, his tips still worked.
Making clickable embedded images using Imgur image hosting service )

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 9, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:
Thanks for the pics. ^^ […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the pics. ^^

(In case you haven't read it, there's an interesting thread by Stiletto regarding imgur.
The style of that site may has changed, but last time I checked, his tips still worked.
Making clickable embedded images using Imgur image hosting service )

I already read that, that is why the thumbnails are small, otherise it would be way too giant (i took the pics with my canon t5i)
I also left one link to the album with the full resolution images

Reply 3 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, okay. Nevermind. 😅 I didn't mean to insinuate anything, your pics are fine.
Just thought it would be helpful to you and others.
So I mentioned that thread, since it was sunken in the depths on the forums.
Took me about 15 minutes to remember parts of the topic's name and to find it.

About that issue with the Sound Blaster 16 Emulation..
I'm not certain, but I recommend to change the BIOS setting from "PCI Device" to "PCI/ISA PnP".
Also disable Parallel Port on IRQ7. On a real SB16 it wouldn't cause any issue, since IRQ-sharing does work in practice.
Provided, that only one device is using it at a time (e.g. don't play music and print your homework).
Anyway, Creative drivers and PnP-OSes may think different. Perhaps they will refuse to work, even though theres only a minor resource conflict.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 9, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some SB live cards have a (generally) Dell OEM version that doesn't work well, or at all with normal Creative Labs drivers. Unless you know exactly where it is originally from, it is worth a try.

AFAIK, I don't think they are marked in any way as Dell OEM cards so looking at the card will not help identifying them as such.

Reply 5 of 9, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:
Ah, okay. Nevermind. :sweatdrop: I didn't mean to insinuate anything, your pics are fine. Just thought it would be helpful to […]
Show full quote

Ah, okay. Nevermind. 😅 I didn't mean to insinuate anything, your pics are fine.
Just thought it would be helpful to you and others.
So I mentioned that thread, since it was sunken in the depths on the forums.
Took me about 15 minutes to remember parts of the topic's name and to find it.

About that issue with the Sound Blaster 16 Emulation..
I'm not certain, but I recommend to change the BIOS setting from "PCI Device" to "PCI/ISA PnP".
Also disable Parallel Port on IRQ7. On a real SB16 it wouldn't cause any issue, since IRQ-sharing does work in practice.
Provided, that only one device is using it at a time (e.g. don't play music and print your homework).
Anyway, Creative drivers and PnP-OSes may think different. Perhaps they will refuse to work, even though theres only a minor resource conflict.

Nope, disabling and reserving the IRQ did not changed anything, it still frozen.
I will try this card on another machine that i have, with other chipset(KT400A) just to be sure if it isn't a bad driver or bad card.

Koltoroc wrote:

Some SB live cards have a (generally) Dell OEM version that doesn't work well, or at all with normal Creative Labs drivers. Unless you know exactly where it is originally from, it is worth a try.

AFAIK, I don't think they are marked in any way as Dell OEM cards so looking at the card will not help identifying them as such.

The Live! Value CT4780 isn't a OEM Card, it is just the budget oriented Live! card.
To help identify Creative cards it just look up the model here http://www.ask.asia.creative.com/wwenglish/ge … _list_audio.htm

Reply 7 of 9, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Koltoroc wrote:

Sound Blaster Live! Value Dell OEM CT4780

from your link. Do a search for dell

Edit: That is what makes the dell cards such a trap, they have the came "CT" number as retail models

Wow now im starting to think about it, it might be, but it installed without the retail driver, well im installing windows 98 to test if it is a card issue or some incompability with the chipset.
Edit2: well i think i got caught by the trap, it is one of those oem cards, after testing with two other completely different boards( asus sp97-xv and asus a7v8x-x) this card refused to work.
Oh well, i will get and diamond monster mx100(aureal vortex2).

Reply 8 of 9, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is weird, with the VXD drivers in duke nukem3d setup it should have
"Soundblaster 16 or AWE 32" @ 220 for Sound FX card and "General Midi" @ 330 for the Music Card.

There are two more things you can try.

Phils computer lab has some Livedos files at https://www.philscomputerlab.com/sound-blaster-live.html that can be used in real mode dos and MS-DOS (windows dos). You do need the Himem and Emm386 also in config.sys file, and IF you use smartdrive it has to be loaded after the sbeinit.com line.

Lastly there are WDM drivers for your card that uses Soundblaster 2.0 (NEW) with no need for (no nmi-ddma) and not soundblaster 16 for audio. These only work in windows dos. In this case, select Soundblaster 2.0 (new) in setup for duke 3d. And General Midi for Music
How to get Sound Blaster Emulation in Win9X/ME via live!5.1 with newer-current mobo's (no nmi-ddma)

With those WDM drivers there will be no emm386/himem needed and also nothing will show up in Device Manager.

I have tried all three ways with my CT4760 with success.

Additional things I could say is get the 1.5 Duke nukem 3d patch, also if you get the sound working there is a PCI soundcard patch for all the build games.

You can use something like Driver cleaner to remove all creative drivers when trying the next set. This is nice to run after you remove anything in Add/Remove Programs.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 9 of 9, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RogueTrip2012 wrote:
That is weird, with the VXD drivers in duke nukem3d setup it should have "Soundblaster 16 or AWE 32" @ 220 for Sound FX card and […]
Show full quote

That is weird, with the VXD drivers in duke nukem3d setup it should have
"Soundblaster 16 or AWE 32" @ 220 for Sound FX card and "General Midi" @ 330 for the Music Card.

There are two more things you can try.

Phils computer lab has some Livedos files at https://www.philscomputerlab.com/sound-blaster-live.html that can be used in real mode dos and MS-DOS (windows dos). You do need the Himem and Emm386 also in config.sys file, and IF you use smartdrive it has to be loaded after the sbeinit.com line.

Lastly there are WDM drivers for your card that uses Soundblaster 2.0 (NEW) with no need for (no nmi-ddma) and not soundblaster 16 for audio. These only work in windows dos. In this case, select Soundblaster 2.0 (new) in setup for duke 3d. And General Midi for Music
How to get Sound Blaster Emulation in Win9X/ME via live!5.1 with newer-current mobo's (no nmi-ddma)

With those WDM drivers there will be no emm386/himem needed and also nothing will show up in Device Manager.

I have tried all three ways with my CT4760 with success.

Additional things I could say is get the 1.5 Duke nukem 3d patch, also if you get the sound working there is a PCI soundcard patch for all the build games.

You can use something like Driver cleaner to remove all creative drivers when trying the next set. This is nice to run after you remove anything in Add/Remove Programs.

I already went through this, but i guess thus is one oem crap, and will not work properly like one real sb live.
But thank you anyway 😀