VOGONS

First post, by USMC_IA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I apologize if the request I am about it make is something simple in regards to the older hardware, but I am stumped.

I have a Compaq Deskpro 386/20e that had the CMOS battery go out, I was able to find the Diagnostics floppy (thanks to previous forum entries here) and reset the bios. After that the hard drive specs did not match any of the predefined types within the bios, so I selected a type more restrictive regarding heads, cylinders, etc. and was able to load DOS 6.22 on the device and drivers for a Soundblaster Pro 2 and 3Com Etherlink III card. The part I am stumped at is the remaining two cards.

Both cards are 8 bit ISA cards.

The first card is a Information Storage Devices CPB001 Rev B Composer Digital Controller. It had an IDE adapter on the back of the card.

The second is a Compaq CNT75M990 with a RS232 and a DB25 connector on it.

I have searched for a few days with as many different search term combinations as I can think of for drivers or configuration instructions for these devices. Does anyone here know a location that would house either of those in order to get this machine functional again?

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to give.

Reply 1 of 4, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice box. These old Compaqs are quite restricted by the list of suitable (mostly Conner) IDE drives in their BIOS. I used a SCSI Controller and drive to overcome this handicap on mine. Drop me a PM if you need the memory upgrade board, I might have one spare.

For the cards it would be easiest to post pictures as the bigger chips may be identified and the function of the board clarified. The Compaq card may be a I/O- card to have second RS232 and printer port ( AFAIR the 386/e had onboard RS232 and LPT), while the IDE card may be served a CD-ROM before. Did you have a look at TH99? You may find the jumper settings for I/O adresses and IRQs there. If they are really IDE and I/O, they usually do not require any drivers.

Reply 2 of 4, by USMC_IA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the quick reply. The box came with a 4mb board. I checked out TH99, I may have to spend some time there as I deal with the older boxes quite often and I had never came across that site. Thank you for that.

If the older cards would not require drivers, only jumper settings I would assume the jumpers should be good on these cards as they were functional prior to the CMOS deciding 35 years was enough. I was brought into this to help out since I had dealt with some of the older OS's before, hardware is not my strong point though.

I put links to pictures of the two cards below if you want to check them out.

https://ibb.co/mDGy27 - This is the CPB001 IDE card.

https://ibb.co/ktF2Un - This is the Compaq RS232 / DB25 card.

Thank you again for the response.

Reply 3 of 4, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Compaq card is indeed a RS232/LPT combo card as you can easily recognise by the silkscreened DIP-settings for LPT and Com ports.

Not sure on the other board, the fuses seem to be unusual for an IDE board, so it ist probably something completely different like some data acquisition card. LPT interrup can be set by the jumper next to the slot connector.

Hard to find some info on the other board, as the keywords bring up lots of generic stuff bu no useful information on this board.
http://www.chipdocs.com/manufacturers/ISD.html tells someting on voice recording and processing, so this may be it. The card contains mostly standard TTL logic chips, so its seems to process digital data only. You can try to ask them for info on info@isd.com. In the worst case you will never get a feedback, but it´s worth a try. For the ordinary user not owning the device an the other side of the ribbon cable this seems to be just another enhanced uselessness device.

Reply 4 of 4, by USMC_IA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your help with this. I've reached out so here's hoping. I was able to find the device on the other side of the cable, another ISD manufactured recording device. To bad the owners didn't keep any of the original documentation on the devices.