VOGONS

First post, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have trouble identifying this mainboard from a compaq pull. The numbers on the stickers do not yield any viable result on Google. Perhaps somebody recognises this board. If I remember correctly, it came with two 1.26 PIII so it should do Tualatins (although I'm not a 100% sure anymore). The chip seems to be a Serverworks LE-chipset.

The AGP-like slot at the bottom is most intriguing, It has the AGP-colour, an AGP card fits in it, but it is right at the end of the PCI-X and PCI slots. No idea what it is meant for.

800*600:

Compaq_resize.jpg
Filename
Compaq_resize.jpg
File size
287.34 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Full size picture:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dfr77lSZ8zx0HO3x1

Reply 1 of 4, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Search the board for a Compaq partnumber like 123456-001 and feed this number to the hp partsurfer tool at www.partsurfer.hp.com would be the easiest way.
I don´t recognize the board myself, but it may be something from the low end Proliant ML line, like the ML350 G2. From what I found on the web the ML350 G2 comes closest, so probably its a different revision of the board.

The slot next to the CPU sockets is for a VRM module to feed the second CPU. The Slot looking like AGB is probably something proprietary, AGP slots start at a greater distance from the back of the board and AGPpro extends to the other direction as well.

Reply 2 of 4, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can think about 4 possible uses of that brown port. A slot for a "memory riser" to further expand system memory (likely, they have slots that look suspiciously like that), A board to board interconnect for additional CPUs (unlikely, too far from the CPUs) A slot for a PCI riser card (unlikely, never seen riser cards for boards with PCI-X) or a port for a proprietary storage controller ( no idea how likely that is)

Reply 3 of 4, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks all for thinking along. It's apparantly the mainboard of a Proliant ML330 (2nd Generation).

The brown slot is referred to in the manual as "Server Feature Board slot (slot 6)".

This slot provides the SCSI or ATA interface. I've included a page from the manual:

ProliantML330.PNG
Filename
ProliantML330.PNG
File size
72.75 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 4, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Right, should have known that. These Compaq servers have the basic features integrated on a single card.
These usually include VGA, ethernet and SCSI or IDE. This keeps the PCI slots free for other add on cards. Interesting fact is the battery on the add on card, so the add on boards seems to contain at least parts of the RTC. Not sure if you will be able to run the board without the add on card, but they usually show up on ebay frequently and sell for small coin due to the limited number of posible users. You just have to wait for some time to find a cheap one, because the professional sellers usually ask something based on the original retail price for them.