VOGONS

First post, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello Vogons,
Just yesterday i revived an old ibm ps/1 2011 286 pc andeven though it has a working floppy drive there is no hard drive.I thought about adding a zip parallel drive and i saw that there is a driver that i need to run so basically i would like to ask you if i can actually burn a new eprom with the zip driver installed and maybe dos 6,22 or maybe freedos.the original ibms gui makes me cry considering i am an amiga owner at that time and workbench was indeed ages ahead of ibm ps/1 gui.Also i have a kingston 512kb memory upgrade but i read somewhere that there is a way to upgrade it to 2mb.So do you know where i can find more details on holw can i mod the 512kb memory module in a 2mb module?

Attachments

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 1 of 3, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have found some information from nestor ,a guy who seriously upgraded the ps/1 2011 computer in a DIY way.So i will replace the 4 dram km44c256 memory modules with 4 km44c1000 ,and solderin the two pins together found on the memory expansion card and i shall have 2,5mb memory .I do not know if i could do the same trick for the memory found onboard the ps/1 mobo.Later on i shall try to replace the 10mhz 286 cpu with a 25mhz version from Harris or AMD.I will keep you guys informed.But look at the internal ethernet card found in this ps/1.It seems like a mystery card made by SAGE.Do you have any information on it?
thank you .

Attachments

• ps1.jpg
    Filename
    ps1.jpg
    File size
    1.03 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 2 of 3, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone has a exact description howto upgrade the Memory on the Expansion Board ?

Does the PS/1 handle higher Clock Speeds ? i`m pretty sure maybe it will not ?
maybe a 12Mhz is ok, but 16 or 25 ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 3 of 3, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote on 2019-04-17, 12:25:

Anyone has a exact description howto upgrade the Memory on the Expansion Board ?

Does the PS/1 handle higher Clock Speeds ? i`m pretty sure maybe it will not ?
maybe a 12Mhz is ok, but 16 or 25 ?

IBM would cripple the bios to block overclocking.

I’m also uncertain if the system would allow one of the REVTO486 style 286 upgrade modules either