VOGONS

First post, by Aglenoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello , Iam thinking about buying this laptop in mint condition, however iam not sure if it is suitable , does anybody here have any experience with this laptop ?

Any help is higly appriciated 😀

------------------------------------------------
Pentium II 266 MHz
Diamond Voodoo Monster II 12 Mb
S3 trio 64v+ 2Mb
ESS AudioDrive 1868f
10Gb fireball HDD
256 Mb Ram
------------------------------------------------

Reply 1 of 1, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just took a quick look at its specs with the help of googling, and to me it looks decent for 90s-era games. The GPU is an ATI Rage Mobility M1 which is basically the mobile counterpart of the Rage 128, so it should be good for anything that can run on a Rage 128 (basically Direct3D games up to ~2001).

However, I'm not certain about the sound chipset it uses, most laptops from the early 2000s had hit or miss DOS compatibility, on one hand you may be lucky enough to end up with a chipset that has good/decent DOS compatibility (like an ESS or Yamaha chipset), on the other hand it may use some generic/proprietary chipset that might be good for Windows only, all I could find regarding sound is that it has a "Sound Blaster compatible" which is pretty vague.

The rest of its specs look good to me, the 900 MHz Pentium III and the maximum of 512MB of PC-100 RAM are pretty good for Win98-era usage. Depending on the price, I'd say it's worth the gamble.

Offtopic side note: It appears that CNET is starting to hate adblockers now.