VOGONS

First post, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

I've got two Voodoo5 5500's in random buy, and one of them is working !

As you may expect, the fans are very noisy and almost dead, so I want to find a better cooling solution. I could glue some heatsink with the Arctic Silver Adhesive I have but it's definitive (epoxy glue), I feel it's not a good idea for a valuable piece of hardware.

Since there are holes near the VSA chips I tried to find a way to attach the new heatsinks, and found a quite satisfying solution :

IMG_20180409_220533.jpg
Filename
IMG_20180409_220533.jpg
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

A rod cut to the right size pushes the heatsink down, it's clamped by two V-shaped washers (normal washers I bent with pliers)

IMG_20180409_220557.jpg
Filename
IMG_20180409_220557.jpg
File size
1.66 MiB
Views
File license

The thermal transfer should be good with a very thin layer of Arctic Silver (non adhesive!!) covering the whole chip surface. The heatsinks are way taller than the original ones but not much wider. Do you think it's okay to use them passively ? Or maybe a better idea for cooling ? I have no idea what temperature is reasonable for this hardware - a GPU usually can handle high temps but I don't want to kill it prematurely.

Another question, do you have experience with those type of "PCI fan" ?

s-l1600 (4).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (4).jpg
File size
192.77 KiB
Views
File license
s-l1600 (5).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (5).jpg
File size
136.39 KiB
Views
File license

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Computer-PCI-slot-coo … rwAAOxySE9Q6y0S

It seems quite nice for giving the chips some fresh air but i've NEVER seen one in any computer 😲

Reply 1 of 5, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Having done this myself you did pretty well with the heatsinks but the pci-fan you pictured isn't good enough, you could opt for different heatsinks that have a fan attached then run that to a molex for power. Some fans can use the fan headers on the card should you find a couple.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 5, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, using a northbridge cooler is a common solution for cooling these cards. The heatsinks you have attached are ample, but I'd err on the side of caution and screw a 40mm fan into each of those.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 3 of 5, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What about 2 x 120mm fans mounted using those basic chinese kits that just bolt the fans together and to a PCI end plate? I am planning on doing this for all my graphics cards in case a gpu fan fails.

Reply 4 of 5, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
squiggly wrote:

What about 2 x 120mm fans mounted using those basic chinese kits that just bolt the fans together and to a PCI end plate? I am planning on doing this for all my graphics cards in case a gpu fan fails.

You can diy similar installations with basic household items. I wanna see four 120-mm fans though.