VOGONS

First post, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi folks,
I'm looking at rebuilding my retro rig. I have everything but the motherboard and cpu itself.

Before I go any further, I would like to stay away from industrial boards. They're too much money for what I need.

I am looking for the fastest board possible while supporting ISA. I was considering the Gigabyte GA-6VTXE. I've had it before and it was pretty good, although it has very limited overclocking capability. Unfortunately I had to pass it on, but I would considering getting another.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I would assume it's going to be a tualatin board, that said, I don't know if it's at all possible to get a 440bx board and make it work with a overclocked tualatin, plus I see they tend to have more than one ISA slot which is lovely.

I've been looking here:
http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_S … 70_motherboards

But honestly I'm not knowledgeable enough to know the best.

Any help would be fantastic.

Reply 1 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Socket 370.. heh. Definitely not the fastest.

The Abit KT7A and KT7A -RAID Socket 462 motherboards can run an Athlon XP Barton core 2800+ up to about 2.4Ghz with a modded BIOS and a wire mod (easiest and best) or solder mod to the socket in order to use the higher multipliers.

That will absolutely blow any single socket Tualatin supporting board out of the water.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 7, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're right, I had a bit of tunnel vision really. I didn't even consider a non Intel board.

I should have mentioned too, that I was looking for Windows 98 support as well. Would that motherboard be fine in terms of compatability?

Reply 3 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sketchus wrote:

You're right, I had a bit of tunnel vision really. I didn't even consider a non Intel board.

I should have mentioned too, that I was looking for Windows 98 support as well. Would that motherboard be fine in terms of compatability?

Yep, it has good Windows 98 compatibility.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 7, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alrighty, great thanks for that. I will hunt down a KT7A. Would a KT7 be acceptable?

Also, just out of interest, what is the fastest intel board you can get, outside of the industrial boards?

Reply 5 of 7, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sketchus wrote:

Alrighty, great thanks for that. I will hunt down a KT7A. Would a KT7 be acceptable?

KT7 only officially supports 200MHz FSB, which is 1/4 lower than KT7A's 266MHz FSB.

sketchus wrote:

Also, just out of interest, what is the fastest intel board you can get, outside of the industrial boards?

Boards based on 694T chipset.