VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im trying to install a CD/DVD drive for a 386 but the Bios does not automatically detect it probably because of the age of the Bios, there is an option to select cylinders/heads/sectors but all the drives I have here have no info about the C/H/S. The motherboard I have only has ISA busses and im using an I/O card to get a single IDE working with the HDD as Master and the CD/DVD drive to Slave, the HDD works but the CD/DVD drive does not get detected at boot or in the Bios im guessing I need a special I/O card or some settings in the Bios.

Reply 1 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is no need for the cd/dvd to be detected by the 386 bios - drivers in config/autoexec will pick it up and it will become usable

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since it is a 386, you can use a Win98SE start-up floppy (or emergency floppy) for testing.
It is bootable (has DOS 7.1) and contains drivers for both IDE and SCSI based CD/DVD drives.
You can't read DVDs with that, of course. Just CDs of any kind.

Edit: I assume, you've got a 1.44MB floppy drive in that PC.
If not, there are these Gotek floppy emulators which can be found for cheap..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 7, by ultimate386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you using an add-in IDE controller card in that 386? I would be surprised if a CD/DVD drive worked with any IDE interface built into a 386 board.

AMD386/IIT387DX40, 32MB, ATi Mach64, AWE64
Compaq Prolinea 4/33, 32MB, Tseng ET4000, SB16
AMD X5, 64MB, S3 Virge/Voodoo1, AWE64
AMD K62+550, 256MB, Voodoo3, AWE64 Gold
P3 1.2Ghz, 512MB, Radeon 7500/Voodoo2 SLI, SB Live!

Reply 5 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ultimate386 wrote:

Are you using an add-in IDE controller card in that 386? I would be surprised if a CD/DVD drive worked with any IDE interface built into a 386 board.

It merely needs a driver to work, detection by the BIOS is not required (of course, booting from the CD/DVD drive ain't possible).

Reply 6 of 7, by ultimate386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I am aware that CD/DVD drives won't be detected by older bioses. I was under the impression though that ATAPI devices would not work on the original implementation of the ATA/IDE interface, even with a driver. In fact, I've dealt with more than a few systems where this has been the case. My Compaq Prolinea, for example, will absolutely not work with a CD/DVD drive on its built-in controller (tried for the first time in 1996, I think!).

AMD386/IIT387DX40, 32MB, ATi Mach64, AWE64
Compaq Prolinea 4/33, 32MB, Tseng ET4000, SB16
AMD X5, 64MB, S3 Virge/Voodoo1, AWE64
AMD K62+550, 256MB, Voodoo3, AWE64 Gold
P3 1.2Ghz, 512MB, Radeon 7500/Voodoo2 SLI, SB Live!

Reply 7 of 7, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:
ultimate386 wrote:

It merely needs a driver to work, detection by the BIOS is not required (of course, booting from the CD/DVD drive ain't possible).

PloP boot loader can do just that. It wasn't until the Pentium systems (I'd say 1995 or so) supported the booting from a CD/DVD.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser