VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 3.2GB hard drive im trying to partition with Fdisk on a 386, in the Bios its setup for 3.2GB (3079MB) but I cant get anything higher than 504MB from Fdisk, is this a limitation of the Bios or is it the I/O card? When I run Fdisk it ask's if if I want to use the maximum available space and make it active, I choose yes and format the drive and its only 504MB...the same happens if I choose "No" at the start of Fdisk.

Reply 2 of 7, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

...or just use plain old DDO software.
Think about it, the disk you are trying to use is of an immense capacity for that era. Like 20-30 times bigger. You got lucky that you could even type in a value >1024 for cylinders.

Reply 3 of 7, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the quick great info, I dont have the skills to use flashing with XTide so I have had a look at the DDO from PhilsComputerLab and will tackle it soon, fingers crossed!

Reply 4 of 7, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had this problem using a 20.4 GB Maxtor hard drive on a Socket 7 Pentium system that could only really see ~8GB. I ended up finding the Maxtor Drive Overlay software that boots before anything else and lets me use the whole 20.4GB in Windows 95. Works like a charm.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 5 of 7, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is no reason for XT-IDE if you JUST want to use full capacity of a bigger drive. Granted, it has a multitude of additional very nice features, but if you only need to be able to make use of drives with bigger capacities than supported by BIOS, you might as well just use Overlay software. I recommend EZ-Drive (Western Digital version, it works with every drive regardless of manufacturer.)

Reply 6 of 7, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What version of EZDrive are you talking of jaZz_KCS I tried ezdrive9.exe from here:

http://www.philscomputerlab.com/western-digital.html

and it would not work well after when booting from a floppy

Reply 7 of 7, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GabrielKnight123 wrote:

What version of EZDrive are you talking of jaZz_KCS I tried ezdrive9.exe from here:

http://www.philscomputerlab.com/western-digital.html

and it would not work well after when booting from a floppy

I use 9.09W in all occasions I have to use overlay software, and it never fails me.

What exactly doesnt work? (Sometimes if there is already data present in the MBR, the installation fails with errors. In this case you just choose "Full Automatic Setup" again, and the second time it works.

If you need help with it just shout out. I have been using it on various media with various sizes.

Attachments

• Filename
    ez-drive909w.zip
    File size
    357.28 KiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception