VOGONS

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, my server is currently my old desktop, however it's starting to take a shit during long Handbrake runs, just crashing. I had been planning on retiring it once the new Ryzen parts came out this week and just building a modern desktop with high-capacity hard drives to serve dual purpose as daily-driver and encoding/serving duties all in one box. I hadn't really thought about what to do with the server, but since it looks like I may need to find a new purpose for it sooner rather than later to justify to the wife its continued existence in the apartment...

I believe the reason for the crashes are that I've been running this thing overclocked, albeit stable, since the day I build this in October of 2015. I guess I could drop it back down to stock clocks/voltage and run it at that speed and it'll still be decent enough, maybe?

The specs, as is, are:

FX-6300 (OC'd to 4.5ghz stable(?) with a Hyper 212 Evo)
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P (rev. 2.0)
8GB DDR3 (PC3-12800)
460w PSU (pulled from a XPS 8700 I upgraded awhile ago)
GT 635 GPU (also from the XPS 8700)
All sitting in an Antec Eleven Hundred v2 case with 7 120mm fans (and room for more...heh)

My thoughts are, since the motherboard has full XP driver support, to turn this into a high-end XP machine. The only other PCI-e video cards I have that would be worth it for the era are a pair of HIS 4850 512mb cards. I figure I can drop down to a 2x2GB RAM kit, and find a 650w PSU to handle the video cards and have a still somewhat beastly machine for high-end DX9 era gaming?

Any suggestions for alternate video cards? Maybe a soundcard instead of the built-in Realtek ALC892 audio? Would this be overkill, or I dunno, not enough?

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 1 of 4, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dual booting OS'es with XP would work, would want a 1gb or more videocard IMO. Anything through GTX7xx series works on nvidia's side and a few 9xx series work.

XP 32-bit is only going to use 3.xxGB of ram. You will want 32-bit OS for more compatibility if games are what you have in mind.

Before anything get the system running stable though or all is a waste. First clean it out if you don't do that often. Try default clocks. Possible failing PSU.

For soundcard a creative X-fi would be good with onboard 64mb ram for DOOM3 and supporting games.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 2 of 4, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, XP 32-bit, which is why I wanted to drop down to 4GB of ram.

I intend to rip the thing apart and give it a good cleaning, redo the thermal paste, etc, before I try and set it up again. It's been running with nothing but occasional cleaning of the dust filters in the case since I first put it together.

I noticed the GT635 card has XP drivers on the nvidia site, but not sure if they'll work with the card since it's a Dell OEM? The most recent Tom's GPU hierarchy shows the card as roughly equivalent to a 4650, so I dunno about keeping that around or not, but it 100% draws less power.

Reply 3 of 4, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problems could be either thermals or power related. FX CPUs have a rather low maximum temperature. it is 62C for fx 8350, I believe the 6000 series has a slightly higher max temp around the 65C mark.

FX CPUs are real power hogs, particularly overclocked. A Low quality or old and used PSU can be rather easily overwhelmed when trying to run an overclocked FX CPU.

Personally I would not overclock FX CPUs most of the time or at least not very high. The additional performance does not make up for the (massively) increased power draw and their susceptibility for overheating makes cooling them a big issue.

Reply 4 of 4, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, assuming the parts aren't damaged from the 24/7 usage I've been giving it, the plan is to run it at stock once I repurpose it. I'll know for sure when I rip her apart for a long-overdue cleaning.