VOGONS

First post, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My plan is to upgrade my motherboard+CPU+RAM combo to a better solution for my Windows 98SE machine due to incompatibilities with certain games (chipset issues), and some games require a faster CPU in order to play games at better frame rates.

However, I would like to use a SATA drive with this particular card: Syba SD-VIA-1A2S, which has a VIA VT6421A chipset on there, and I can actually boot from a SATA DVD burner with ease with that after I upgraded the BIOS. I did use this card with my Socket 7 build to run both MS-DOS 7.1 (bare-bones of Windows 98SE) and Windows XP Pro SP3 on a 120GB SATA HDD (went kaput, but I luckily archived the data that was stored on there) and worked successfully for MS-DOS.

Also, I believe this card allows to switch from AHCI to IDE mode as I know that Windows 98SE doesn't support AHCI mode (if my memory serves me right), or I can use the SATA ports on the motherboard (which is IDE mode only).

Motherboard combo I'm planning on using:

Chipset: SiS 760GX
I/O chip: SiS 964
AGP: Rev. 3.0 8x/4x
Memory type: DDR-400 (compatible with DDR-333/266)
Socket type 754
Processor Support: AMD Athlon 64 or Sempron
PCI Revision: 2.2
CNR slot (y/n): Y
Integrated I/O: CMI9761A AC'97 Audio, RealTek RTL8201BL Ethernet, SiS Mirage 2 GPU, 1x COM port, 1x LPT port, 2x IDE, 2x SATA
CPU installed: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (800MHz FSB x 5 multiplier) @ 2GHz
RAM installed: 768MB DDR-400 (1x 512MB and 1x 256MB)
Add-on cards installed: Syba SD-VIA-1A2S PCI SATA Controller and nVidia GeForce 6200 PCI
HDD installed: 320GB Samsung SATA HDD <-- connected to the Syba SATA controller

What are your thoughts on this? The PCI controller card, or the whole motherboard combo, minus the card?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1 of 6, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never had any experience with using SATA drives with Windows 98, but I do know that if you ever need WIndows 9x drivers for these types of cards, this website has them:
http://toastytech.com/files/w95stuff.html

Also, some VIA SATA controllers don't play nice with SATA v2/3 hard drives without a compatibility jumper, not sure if your Syba PCI card is affected.

I'd try the motherboard's integrated SATA controller first, that way you know if it really is running in IDE mode or if it uses RAID mode, IIRC SATA controllers in IDE mode will function as a tertiary and quaternary IDE controllers. However, I remember hearing that some modifications are required for Windows 98 to work properly with more than two IDE controllers active. If for some weird reason the motherboard's integrated SATA controller doesn't allow mode changing or doesn't work with your hard drive(s), then I'd try the PCI controller, or use either a SATA-to-IDE adapter or an IDE hard drive as a last resort.

Reply 2 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Excluding possible SATA2/3 issues, I have not had issues with that particular SATA controller on 98SE until the controller itself just stopped working one day.

If onboard SATA ports can be put to work in IDE mode there won't be any need for a separate controller other than LBA48 concerns. If BIOS has no LBA48 support and you use DOS with drive larger than 128GB there will be data corruption if anything past 128GB is accesed, even if windows itself gets the LBA48 patch. SATA controller will be free of this limit.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is no traditional IDE DMA per se on these addon cards, they always do bus mastering rather than normal IO cycles which are always going to be fast. Without a driver you will get access via DOS int which is slower but still way faster than traditional IO sequences. With a driver there's always PCI bus mastering based accesses which are what the DMA option normally enables in device manager for regular IDE controllers.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 6, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KCompRoom2000 wrote on 2018-04-20, 07:37:
I've never had any experience with using SATA drives with Windows 98, but I do know that if you ever need WIndows 9x drivers for […]
Show full quote

I've never had any experience with using SATA drives with Windows 98, but I do know that if you ever need WIndows 9x drivers for these types of cards, this website has them:
http://toastytech.com/files/w95stuff.html

Also, some VIA SATA controllers don't play nice with SATA v2/3 hard drives without a compatibility jumper, not sure if your Syba PCI card is affected.

I'd try the motherboard's integrated SATA controller first, that way you know if it really is running in IDE mode or if it uses RAID mode, IIRC SATA controllers in IDE mode will function as a tertiary and quaternary IDE controllers. However, I remember hearing that some modifications are required for Windows 98 to work properly with more than two IDE controllers active. If for some weird reason the motherboard's integrated SATA controller doesn't allow mode changing or doesn't work with your hard drive(s), then I'd try the PCI controller, or use either a SATA-to-IDE adapter or an IDE hard drive as a last resort.

Thanks to your post, I managed to make Windows 98 SE work with an integreated SATA IDE port in DMA mode (VIA VT8237A), by limiting the number of controllers to two, and installing PTCHSATA, as detailed here: MSI MS-7253 / K9VGM-V (KM890, VIA8237A) , Athlon 64 X2 5050e, Radeon X800 XL . It works extremely well (also found out that by default DMA is not enabled in the disk properties, it must be enabled manually).