VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I'm working on a new case, was cleaning the parts in the shower before paint, and well the reset switch went down the drain somehow, can't fish it out. Case looks like a KME CASE CX-5859, the reset is the narrow silver part at the top. Anyone got any ideas on this one, or do i just keep checking the local recycler in hopes of finding another case like it with that button to salvage.

Reply 1 of 7, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you mean the button or the actual switch? Reset/Power switches are common and can be cannibalized from any other case easily.

If the switch and its wires went down the drain, you might want to call a plumber to clear that out. Or, just hope for the best.

If you're handy, pull the U trap from the plumbing and see if it got caught in there.

Reply 2 of 7, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can buy the switches easily enough new, but if you mean the special plastic part that you actually touch with your finger when operating the button, then designing your own and getting it 3D printed is probably the only way other than salvage.

Reply 3 of 7, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never seen a reset button like that one, but maybe there's some other device that has a similar looking button you can transplant. Otherwise 3D printing sounds like the go.

Pic of case, with reset strip on top - https://www.altech.bg/files/products/21729.jpg

Reply 4 of 7, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If this happened to me I'd open up the pipe as someone has suggested. (Sink traps should be cleaned at regular intervals anyway). If the part is very light however it's probably gone for good.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 7, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yea the switch is fine, its the little plastic button that went down the drain, and its an apartment and they don't allow tearing up the plumbing or the drywall.

I had it all apart to clean up, got the case from the recycler, but it had cancer and was rough looking. Just sanded it all down and cleaning it up before painting it to remove the ugly 🤣.

Reply 6 of 7, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

See if your trap has a valve like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_(plu ... g_trap.jpg

(I have lost components like this as well. Now I always put down a drain filter before cleaning small parts in the sink.)

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 7 of 7, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm sure it does, but its kept behind drywall. I did have a trap down, an 80mm fan grill but the part still got down the drain 🤣. I sent an email to a couple of 3d print shops to see what software they would need a 3d mesh in to print me a new button.