486 pc questions.

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 66, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ OP
A more user friendly version of the I/O card's jumper block.
http://www.elhvb.com/iocard/tdnservices/gw2760px.jpg

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 61 of 66, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have a second psu or set of 30 pin rams to test with, so some tests if the floppy problem can be fixed have to wait until I get more parts. I will post here when I have managed to test everything that has been suggested in this thread.

Reply 62 of 66, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a few things to try before putting more money into the project.
(I really like that case BTW. Very nice.)

As I recall old Seventeam PSUs were pretty reliable.
If the PSU DC voltages are good I wouldn't make replacing that a priority. It is possible for the voltages to be good but the PSU bad due to excessive ripple (bad caps) but as the system is working via HDD I don't suspect that. You could do a visual inspection of the caps. (Make sure it's unplugged from the wall.) Bad caps don't always bloat but bloated caps are always bad.

Sometimes RAM (or add-in cards for that matter) that has been in slots for long periods of time loose good contact due to corrosion. (Even gold corrodes in air, just every slowly.) Usually simply removing and reinstalling the RAM (or card) a few times will correct that by rubbing the oxides off the contact areas. If not the popular solution is to clean the fingers (contacts) on the card or modules with an eraser. Clean the eraser leavings off with a swab saturated with 90% or better isopropyl.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2018-05-01, 10:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 64 of 66, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

There is 2 banks of 4 30pin simm slots, so I assume you have to fill a bank and you can't just use 2 simms there?

The bad new is you're right. Sorry I goofed. I'm a bit rusty with 486.
I did look but I mistakenly looked at a board with 4 banks and one slot per bank.
- Will fix. Don't wanna confuse future readers.
The part about removing and replacing still applies though.

The good news is I think I found your full motherboard manual.
https://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf_dl/?f=24 … 93&t=1&g=MAE486
It actually covers two similar boards (yours and another) and it's 71 pages.
If the link does not work let me know.

This also appears to be it.
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/M/MY … 486-MAE486.html

Reply 65 of 66, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a long break from doing anything with this pc. I did some testing today again and found out that disabling motherboard cache causes the floppy drive to start working again.
Not sure if I can find new cache chips, but I am curious about something. If this page is correct http://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/m/M-O/31038.htm that those 16 chips are the cache, what are all the other memory chips on the board?
I really have no idea how to fix the problem, but at least I managed to copy some benchmarks to the hard drive while the cache was disabled and it also seems that the PC is way slower than it is suppose to be even after I enable the cache. NSSI basically said that it's speed is somewhere between 386dx33 and amd 386dx40.

Reply 66 of 66, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the cache chips seem to be MT5C6405-15 and I don't seem to be able to find them in ebay. Are there any other memory chips I could use instead of them that are availlable?