VOGONS

First post, by tauro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for alternatives to uniflash, so that I can flash a small binary to a specific part of the the chip (uniflash will only work with files the same as the flash chip and only if it is recognized).

I was thinking that maybe such software exists not only for DOS, but also even for windows or GNU-Linux. That would be a cheap alternative to something like a TL866CS.

Reply 1 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uniflash is a specific tool with a specific purpose - flashing the whole chip. That makes a lot of sense as EEPROMs are ROM not RAM, so you can't just do random access writes to them.

The way to go about flashing a specific bit of the chip is to take a dump of the EEPROM, then use an editor to put your small binary where you want it, and subsequently to flash it all back again. So IMHO you shouldn't be looking for another flash tool but for a BIOS editor to manipulate BIOS images.

Reply 3 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tauro wrote:

Nice, interesting. Any hex editor would do? Is there a "standard" one?

I'm using XVI32 or the editor that's part of the TL866CS software.

tauro wrote:

I was thinking to use this process to flash a XT-IDE binary and then use it with a network card on an old computer.

Well, I've got a spare 27128 here with an old copy of XTIDE Universal BIOS. I could send you that in an envelope, if you like. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 6, by tauro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

Well, I've got a spare 27128 here with an old copy of XTIDE Universal BIOS. I could send you that in an envelope, if you like. 😀

Thank you very much Jo22! I will PM you.

Malvineous wrote:

I've always found flashrom works well, but likely you will still need to make sure the image size matches the chip size.

That program seems pretty, pretty, pretty good, I'll check it out Malvineous, thanks.

Reply 6 of 6, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Romflash forever.flashrom is the most guaranted util to this day.Imhave used it successfully in a lot of mobos.

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350