VOGONS

First post, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right, where to begin.
I have a SIS 471 based 486 board, with a soldered on VIA VT82C42N keyboard controller chip, unfortunately, when I try to boot my system with this board, I get a keyboard error during POST. I know the keyboard works fine on several other motherboards, so it shouldn't be that. I've had the SIS motherboard go through POST a couple of times, but the keyboard doesn't work.
Is it possible to swap out these directly soldered onto the board chips, or are there multiple layers to these old PCBs?

The motherboard in question is a "Iston Corp." S486G Green Motherboard. After years of looking, I finally got hold of a manual, so it was rather annoying when it turns out to not have a working KB chip.

Attachments

• s486g Board.jpg
    Filename
    s486g Board.jpg
    File size
    204.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 1 of 3, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does any of the led's of the keyboard light up during boot? Perhaps you're missing +5V in your for some reason (blown fuse, bad solder joint or something).

I guess soldering on the board will go just fine, there are some examples of people here converting their fake cache 486 motherboards to real cache with success.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 3, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm, good question. I don't think any of the keyboard lights came on. Tried several times, and it appeared to be completely dead. I'm in the middle of moving around the furniture of my living room at the moment, so don't really have much time to test right now. Just getting a proper permanent retro desk up, which is awesome.
Thanks for the suggestion. Gives me a starting point when I have a little while to mess around with it.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 3 of 3, by jnemo2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good morning,
I have the same problem with the KBC VIA VT82C42N.
Finally, after several tests, my conclusion is the KBC VIA is not fully damaged but it is given problems to boot.
I am going to order new one but meanwhile I receive it can be replaced by any of AMIKEY-2 or AMI / INTEL KB VER. F, P8042AHP?
Thank you very much.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    34.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 2.jpg
    Filename