VOGONS

Help identify 386 Board

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ESD protections that are supposed to be in place and those that actually are in place are two different things.
Front panel ports on consumer cases rarely have adequate protection.
Some motherboards don't have adequate protection.
Intel 865 boards were notorious for blown USB ports because Intel made an error with ESD protection in the reference design.
Some mobo manufacturers simply skimp on ESD parts.

If you want to think you're safe ignoring ESD precautions because of what is -supposed- to be there, then you go right ahead.
It's not my board.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 21 of 30, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:
Sorry but carpet is not an insulator. As to static it's actually a GENERATOR. When the fibers rub together carpets create brand […]
Show full quote

Sorry but carpet is not an insulator. As to static it's actually a GENERATOR.
When the fibers rub together carpets create brand new static which travels into other things.
Any one that has ever walked across a carpet and gotten zapped by a door knob has experienced it for themselves.

I once had a client that made the mistake of having his offices carpeted with short-shag carpet.
Anytime someone walked across the room and plugged in a USB stick the static discharge fried the USB chip on the motherboard.
They had over a dozen systems with dead USB ports before they called me.

Actually, polyester is an insulator. That's why a charge can build up when you walk across a carpet.

For static electricity to build and be a problem, you need a mechanism for electron transport from one material to another (usually the triboelectric effect) and sufficient insulation to keep the charge from bleeding off.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23 of 30, by ReL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Murugan wrote:

Isn't this about some board that needs to be identified 😀?

it is,
It is nice to see when people share different views, something can always be learned as a lesson,
but I still did not have the luck to find something about this motherboard

Reply 25 of 30, by ReL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Murugan wrote:

Do you have the pieces to make it boot? The BIOS string can help you get started.

I only have not yet come to the queue to test it since I have a lot of motherboards, so I want to sort them first, and then I'll watch what works or do not work, all motherboards are left 25-30 years old in the box, of all recently I have instructions from this one and I do not have a couple of them

Reply 26 of 30, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:
Sorry but carpet is not an insulator. As to static it's actually a GENERATOR. When the fibers rub together carpets create brand […]
Show full quote

Sorry but carpet is not an insulator. As to static it's actually a GENERATOR.
When the fibers rub together carpets create brand new static which travels into other things.
Any one that has ever walked across a carpet and gotten zapped by a door knob has experienced it for themselves.

I once had a client that made the mistake of having his offices carpeted with short-shag carpet.
Anytime someone walked across the room and plugged in a USB stick the static discharge fried the USB chip on the motherboard.
They had over a dozen systems with dead USB ports before they called me.

Actually, polyester is an insulator. That's why a charge can build up when you walk across a carpet.

POLYester is just a plastic. Only some plastics with additives can block static current. I don't think that is one of them.

In regards to static, no it isn't an insulator. It's a generator and a conductor.
A real insulator has to insulate (block current) in all directions, not just through the middle.
Static Current and Dynamic Current are not the same. Static travels on the surface, not through the middle.
Anything that will Generate static can also conduct it - making it a Conductor by definition.

Materials that will generate static behave like an insulator clad with a Static conductor, yet it is one material.
It's unfortunate (and problematic) that they never came up with a word for that. Least that I know of.

Static_Doll.jpg
Filename
Static_Doll.jpg
File size
39.57 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

If you look closely the photographer appears to be naked other than goat leggings.
Be that as it may, I'm not buying demonic explanations or witchcraft.

The plastic in that doll will not conduct dynamic current (could not use it as a conductor to power a bulb with a battery)

Clearly the static charge is getting from the fancy generator to the doll's hair. The only path is by way of the plastic.
Thus the plastic is conducting Static. - Not insulating Static. Not blocking Static. Conducting.

-
There is also the grade school science class thing where you rub one end of a glass, PVC or acrylic rod and pick up paper with the static at the opposite end of the rod. For the charge to get from one end to the other it has to travel the length, so glass, acrylic and PVC are conductors to static.

-
Now back to the OP's board.
There are none of the required industry markings on that sheet of plastic to indicate it is anti-static.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2018-05-07, 23:02. Edited 7 times in total.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 27 of 30, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Murugan wrote:

Do you have the pieces to make it boot? The BIOS string can help you get started.

I've been saying that for two days.
The OP showed a decoder site he uses so he appears to know how.

Reply 28 of 30, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen it. Just remembering him 😀

PCBONEZ wrote:
I've been saying that for two days. The OP showed a decoder site he uses so he appears to know how. . […]
Show full quote
Murugan wrote:

I've been saying that for two days.
The OP showed a decoder site he uses so he appears to know how.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 29 of 30, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:

... snippety snip snip ...

I won't go into what Gauss's law tells us about solutions to electrostatics. If you want to discuss it further, we can PM about it or discuss it in another thread. The dangerous thing about static electricity is that electron displacement off an insulator takes significant energy per unit charge which results in a very high voltage (10s of kilo volts). That's generally enough to blow through things like polymer casings and conformal coatings as if they weren't there and give your semiconductor components an unhappy time.

So, if you love your 386, take the time to observe ESD precautions.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder