VOGONS

First post, by 19rsn007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello people,

I was given this card, but I can not find anything about it.
I know it's a VLB card, but what is the 68k doing on there?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That looks like a 68k SBC meant for a backplane not a VLB expansion card for a computer IMO.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 10, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Acard Artop Electronics ATP-8400A IDE / VLB CACHE Controller (just searched on the label AEC3240)
Plus it looks like it's got IO onboard. Should be handy.

Reply 3 of 10, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

68k is just a capable and effective Cache controller there.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 4 of 10, by 19rsn007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JidaiGeki wrote:

Acard Artop Electronics ATP-8400A IDE / VLB CACHE Controller (just searched on the label AEC3240)

Do you have any info about it?
Does it require drivers or software of some sort?

I have made some close-up shots of the IC's on there.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 10, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It does not need extra drivers in DOS and you can even use it with Windows 9x, without drivers.

It has its own BIOS. And computer and DOS sees it a just a normal drive controller.

Usually only your original MB BIOS has to be configured with first drive active, but with all zeroes.

And you have to run the cards bios, to detect and use IDE drives.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 7 of 10, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
19rsn007 wrote:
Do you have any info about it? Does it require drivers or software of some sort? […]
Show full quote
JidaiGeki wrote:

Do you have any info about it?
Does it require drivers or software of some sort?

I have made some close-up shots of the IC's on there.

Sorry I don't have more information, but it looks like NT and OS/2 drivers can be found on driverguide.com if you want to try those operating systems with it.
Cyberdyne does seem to be familiar with this card though! 😀

Reply 8 of 10, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sometime those cards dont support large disk. I dont know about the specs of that one. I once struggle with one of those because of that, I just hope to save you some time if you ever decide to use it.

Reply 10 of 10, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These things are most at home in a 386/486 that uses HDD's from the 90's. Capacity limitations are one side of it, but they also lack support for the faster drive interface standards that came with EIDE c. 1995 onwards. Anything that already saturates the pipe (8MB/s at the very max, probably half that) will only be bottlenecked.

That said, caching disk controllers are pretty rad.

My big-red-switch 486