VOGONS

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there
I own an old toshiba 400cdt series model and i belive the screen resolution is 800x600.
when i run a DOS game it looks cropped into a small square box in the screen.
Inside the BIOS there is an option to stretch the image, but using that option is really bad as the image gets transformed into rectangle instead of a square, making the game look not nice.

I wonder if anyone here has this problem and if there is any kind of fix for it.

Reply 1 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No fixes exist outside using a monitor on the VGA output (if present at all), you either live with the small box in the middle of screen or ugly badly scaled full screen image.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 5, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote:

No fixes exist outside using a monitor on the VGA output (if present at all), you either live with the small box in the middle of screen or ugly badly scaled full screen image.

This is not always true.

A user here provided a TSR that fixed this very problem on my 720CDT:

Toshiba Tecra 720CDT = Great DOS Gaming Laptop

Another user later reported that it worked in his 430cdt:
toshiba 430 cdt screen scaling?

It's worth a try!

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 3 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It categorizes as a small box in middle of screen (just less small), not filling the whole screen. One is not gonna get anything along the lines of what newer laptops do where any resolution is relatively smoothly scaled to fill the screen.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 5, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:
This is not always true. […]
Show full quote
Tiido wrote:

This is not always true.

A user here provided a TSR that fixed this very problem on my 720CDT:

Toshiba Tecra 720CDT = Great DOS Gaming Laptop

Another user later reported that it worked in his 430cdt:
toshiba 430 cdt screen scaling?

It's worth a try!

I wonder if something like this exists for the Pentium III Gateway Solo I have. The screen on that sucker is 1280x1024 and it does no scaling at all on anything below 🙁. DOSBox obviously fixes the issue but games like DOOM are too much for it to emulate smoothly. I have a Celeron Thinkpad that does scale and has nice OPL3 emulation but the screen is an ugly off shade of yellow.

This is just how it was with laptops, and the reason why Laptops with OPL3 sound and 640x480 TFT screens are so highly praised for DOS gaming.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?