VOGONS

Reply 240 of 282, by kendair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Roman555 wrote on 2022-12-06, 22:09:
Hello, Do you have a hardware programmer? BIOS update is a risky procedure. There are some BIOSes preserved in web.archive.org. […]
Show full quote
kendair wrote on 2022-09-28, 10:58:
Hello Everyone! […]
Show full quote

Hello Everyone!

I have a PCChips M570 V1.3 motherboard, and I'm looking for the original AMI WINBIOS. Upgraded the BIOS to the latest 09/04/1998, but I was dumb-dumb and not making any backups. Hoped for resolve some compatibility issues, but it get even worse with the new BIOS, now I cannot use any soundcard 🙁

I hope somebody have this board and can make a back-up form the original BIOS.

Many thanks!

Greetings,
Attila
Hungary

Hello,
Do you have a hardware programmer? BIOS update is a risky procedure.
There are some BIOSes preserved in web.archive.org. But it's difficult to say whether they are compatible or not.
Sybercom MB570
Amptron PM-9700
bns-computer PCChips M570 - just a list of BIOSes because of FTP links

Hi!

Thanks for the links! Unfortunately the Sybercom link not works, and the Amptorn looks way too different (Slot1/Socket370)

Anyway, I have a minipro programmer, I learned form my mistake, I have backup form the current bios, and I'm always start with a full dump if i update any MoBo's bios 😁

Reply 241 of 282, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kendair wrote on 2022-12-07, 16:10:

Hi!

Thanks for the links! Unfortunately the Sybercom link not works, and the Amptorn looks way too different (Slot1/Socket370)

Anyway, I have a minipro programmer, I learned form my mistake, I have backup form the current bios, and I'm always start with a full dump if i update any MoBo's bios 😁

Welcome!
minipro programmer - it's wonderful. I have an old DIY Willem (LPT interface) - a really naughty programmer 😀
The picture was just a picture. Amptron BIOSes was hidden behind menu "BIOS".

Attachments

• Filename
    5700612s.zip
    File size
    110.03 KiB
    Downloads
    40 downloads
    File comment
    M570 v1.3 Release 12.06.98
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    9700-072899.zip
    File size
    123.79 KiB
    Downloads
    38 downloads
    File comment
    Amptron 9700 v1.3 07/28/1999 (or 1998 - don't know)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 242 of 282, by bogdang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bogdang wrote on 2022-12-07, 06:17:
I have checked, but there is no write-protect switch on the mobo (I managed to find the manual). The bios was bricked during an […]
Show full quote
Horun wrote on 2022-12-07, 02:31:
Agree ! Hmm, If the flash eeprom is bad you will not be able to re-flash and have it work. How did you "brick" your BIOS ? or di […]
Show full quote
Roman555 wrote on 2022-12-06, 22:17:

Maybe EEPROM is faulty so BootBlock can't recover BIOS flashing it from a floppy.
Or maybe there's a jumper on the mainboard that protects BIOS from flashing.
Sometimes a manufacturer (I don't mean MSI here) used one-time-programming (OTP) chips so it couldn't be recovered at all.

Agree ! Hmm, If the flash eeprom is bad you will not be able to re-flash and have it work. How did you "brick" your BIOS ? or did it just fail on it's own ?
If you have an eeprom programmer (TL866 type) you can try to flash the chip, it will also help to find if the chip is bad.
Searching back thru archive org there never was a AG76 released/posted for MSI or Premio but there is a AMI AG77d bios (diff than the AG77) with AMI flash 5.3 which should work IF your bios chip is OK.
One thing: never load Himem.sys or other things to flash an old BIOS unless you know it is ok and always use the flasher tool that was meant to use for the BIOS version. Attached AG77d

added: the Chaintech 5SEM appears to have all same chipset/chips as the MS5124, will look to see if there is an AMI bios for it to try....

I have checked, but there is no write-protect switch on the mobo (I managed to find the manual).
The bios was bricked during an eeprom update using AG79 (next time I will take into account the ID bios string too), the ami flasher was launched from a startup dos floppy without any extended memory manager.
I will try AG77d with the flasher, also from the floppy startup disk.
Thank you very much for your support!

Unfortunately , no luck with AG77d. There is, however, a different behaviour after reading the rom file. I get no infinite loop of 7 short beeps, but no image/post either .... just black screen, no floppy activity, no beeps.
I have waited for 10 minutes then rebooted. It starts reading the floppy again ...
I guess the only solution is to find that AG76 rom, but I have been searching for three weeks now and still no luck.

Reply 243 of 282, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bogdang wrote on 2022-12-07, 18:57:
... Unfortunately , no luck with AG77d. There is, however, a different behaviour after reading the rom file. I get no infinite l […]
Show full quote

Unfortunately , no luck with AG77d. There is, however, a different behaviour after reading the rom file. I get no infinite loop of 7 short beeps, but no image/post either .... just black screen, no floppy activity, no beeps.
I have waited for 10 minutes then rebooted. It starts reading the floppy again ...
I guess the only solution is to find that AG76 rom, but I have been searching for three weeks now and still no luck.

Maybe it helps. The reason : the bootblock part of flash is write-protected and when you try to give another version new bootblock can't be flashed.
Also new version of bios might be flashed using a hardware programmer or hot-swap method.

P.S. BIOS error may be caused by faulty RAM or cache.

Reply 244 of 282, by kendair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Roman555 wrote on 2022-12-07, 17:49:
Welcome! minipro programmer - it's wonderful. I have an old DIY Willem (LPT interface) - a really naughty programmer :) The pict […]
Show full quote
kendair wrote on 2022-12-07, 16:10:

Hi!

Welcome!
minipro programmer - it's wonderful. I have an old DIY Willem (LPT interface) - a really naughty programmer 😀
The picture was just a picture. Amptron BIOSes was hidden behind menu "BIOS".

Thanks a lot for the files, I hope they will help a lot and solve my compatibility problem. I'll have enough free time this weekend to try it out, I'll let you know if there's any progress! Thanks again!

Reply 245 of 282, by bogdang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Roman555 wrote on 2022-12-07, 20:20:
Maybe it helps. The reason : the bootblock part of flash is write-protected and when you try to give another version new bootblo […]
Show full quote
... Unfortunately , no luck with AG77d. There is, however, a different behaviour after reading the rom file. I get no infinite l […]
Show full quote

Maybe it helps. The reason : the bootblock part of flash is write-protected and when you try to give another version new bootblock can't be flashed.
Also new version of bios might be flashed using a hardware programmer or hot-swap method.

I will try using different ram modules (tested ones), or write the eeprom in a programmer / another motherboard using hot-swap.
Thank you very much!

Reply 246 of 282, by bogdang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Maybe it helps. The reason : the bootblock part of flash is write-protected and when you try to give another version new bootblo […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

And ... it`s alive again! 😉 Seems like the recovery boot was not able to program the eeprom.
I have bought an XGECU programmer and successfully wrote the AG77D bios image.
Thank you!

Attachments

Reply 247 of 282, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bogdang wrote on 2023-01-04, 19:47:
And ... it`s alive again! ;) Seems like the recovery boot was not able to program the eeprom. I have bought an XGECU programmer […]
Show full quote
Show full quote
Show full quote

And ... it`s alive again! 😉 Seems like the recovery boot was not able to program the eeprom.
I have bought an XGECU programmer and successfully wrote the AG77D bios image.
Thank you!

I'm glad to read that you've managed to revive it 😀
Congrats!

Reply 248 of 282, by Adriand1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone.
I have a great request, I need a BIOS for the board from the photo. I've searched but can't find it anywhere.

Attachments

Reply 249 of 282, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Adriand1281 wrote on 2023-03-01, 19:29:

Hello everyone.
I have a great request, I need a BIOS for the board from the photo. I've searched but can't find it anywhere.

These are not exact layout matches but they do have the same chipset.
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/bek-tronic-bek-3708
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/pine-t … chnology-pt-321

though only the pine one has bios downloads available.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 250 of 282, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do we collect the bios'es from the old laptop boards?
I've got a Siemens Nixdorf Scenic 4NC laptop's motherboard from the pile of scrap, the flash chip contains bios for both - chipset (ALI M1219) and video (CHIPS F65530).
Should I upload it in the 486 bios section?

Reply 252 of 282, by Adriand1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2023-03-01, 20:03:
These are not exact layout matches but they do have the same chipset. https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/bek-tronic-bek-3708 […]
Show full quote
Adriand1281 wrote on 2023-03-01, 19:29:

Hello everyone.

These are not exact layout matches but they do have the same chipset.
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/bek-tronic-bek-3708
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/pine-t … chnology-pt-321

though only the pine one has bios downloads available.

Thank you very much, one of the given bios worked

Reply 253 of 282, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
I do not know if it is the proper discussion.
I have Ga-586DX, Intel 430HX dual cpu,the bios of this card is crippled.
It has usb headers but no usb options and appears to be disabled.
No voltage readings
No proper interrupt table (or buggy).
Not even jan Steunbrick was able to help me to past 8GB limitation….

Can someone do something for this nice piece of hardware with such a poor software support?

Reply 254 of 282, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mamba wrote on 2023-03-14, 13:44:
Hello, I do not know if it is the proper discussion. I have Ga-586DX, Intel 430HX dual cpu,the bios of this card is crippled. It […]
Show full quote

Hello,
I do not know if it is the proper discussion.
I have Ga-586DX, Intel 430HX dual cpu,the bios of this card is crippled.
It has usb headers but no usb options and appears to be disabled.
No voltage readings
No proper interrupt table (or buggy).
Not even jan Steunbrick was able to help me to past 8GB limitation….

Can someone do something for this nice piece of hardware with such a poor software support?

See if you can find another motherboard that has the same I/O controller from there you may be able to use modbin to edit the bios? Not sure. An external I/O card may be an option also. Maybe even a mr bios.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 255 of 282, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ga-586ux bios is basically the same card but without SMP and single socket.
Not sure it has better irq handling.
We need someone who is able to surf bioses like Jan is (he is here?).

Reply 256 of 282, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mamba wrote on 2023-03-14, 15:04:

Could trade up to a tyan s1564D

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 257 of 282, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-03-14, 18:17:
Mamba wrote on 2023-03-14, 15:04:

Could trade up to a tyan s1564D

Will take into consideration, meanwhile I want to fight with this board.

I retrieved a program called Award bios editor https://sourceforge.net/projects/awdbedit/fil … t/awdbedit-1.0/
It seemed to be the answer to all my questions.
when I load the bios in the program, everything looks too good to be true.
It is able to see everything but do not why I cannot change paramenters, even if I save, they revert to the old status (i.e. USB controller field).

Am I missing something? Any advice?

Am I missing something?

Reply 258 of 282, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Mamba,

Awdbedit is a nice program to view various Award BIOS details, but it still has bugs and can produce a corrupted BIOS when saving changes.

I prefer the good old MODBIN V4.50.82a DOS tool from Award for editing the Setup menus of 1997-1999 BIOSes.
I took a look at the GA-586DX Rev 2.x board Ver 2.40 BIOS and indeed found a lot of hidden options.
I enabled all useful Setup options, including ‘USB Controller’, DRAM timings, and PCI IDE IRQ Mapping options.

Here is this 5DX “patch J.1” BIOS.
I hope this helps with your fight with this nice board. 😉

Cheers, Jan

Attachments

• Filename
    GA-586DX_J1.zip
    File size
    110.48 KiB
    Downloads
    39 downloads
    File comment
    GA-586DX Rev 2.x BIOS with patch J.1
    File license
    Public domain

CPU Identification utility
The Unofficial K6-2+ / K6-III+ page

Reply 259 of 282, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Chkcpu wrote on 2023-03-16, 22:35:
Hi Mamba, […]
Show full quote

Hi Mamba,

Awdbedit is a nice program to view various Award BIOS details, but it still has bugs and can produce a corrupted BIOS when saving changes.

I prefer the good old MODBIN V4.50.82a DOS tool from Award for editing the Setup menus of 1997-1999 BIOSes.
I took a look at the GA-586DX Rev 2.x board Ver 2.40 BIOS and indeed found a lot of hidden options.
I enabled all useful Setup options, including ‘USB Controller’, DRAM timings, and PCI IDE IRQ Mapping options.

Here is this 5DX “patch J.1” BIOS.
I hope this helps with your fight with this nice board. 😉

Cheers, Jan

Jan!

Hello!! You tried to help me years ago with the 8GB limitation!!
At the end of the day it is always you the one to talk to it seems!
Still no luck in the limitation eh?
But thank you a lot!!