VOGONS

First post, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

I found a used but boxed Soyo SY-5EMA+ a little bit expensive, about 120,00 USD but in perfect condition...

Does it worth it to replace the current motherboard of my Pentium MMx build? I have an Asus P5-99VM.

But this one has more expansion slots and no on board VGA!

DOS IS THE POWER OF OUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES!

Reply 1 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unless you really want Super Socket 7 system with something like K6-III+, it's not worth it. And even then it's much cheaper to just skip it and use VIA C3 and Slot 1/Socket 370 motherboard.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 5, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also own a 440Bx (DTK PRM-20I E0) system but with no ISA slot!!!

That's why I moved to SSocket 7, I needed the system only for DOS, Windows 3.11 and the ESS1868F ISA was the best card I found for DOS.

The motherboard I own supports up to K6-2, K6-3 but for Windows 9x/ME areaI have another build with a Sempron, ATi 9600 AGP, Audigy 2 ZS.

Ok , it's not worthing for P55c I use.

Thank you.

DOS IS THE POWER OF OUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES!

Reply 3 of 5, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ordered one of those boards from Tiger Direct back in 2001. I had built a system using a K6-2+ 475 and an Asus P55T2P4 earlier in the year, which was a noticeable speed boost over the Biostar/Winchip board it replaced while allowing me to use the same AT case, memory, etc. But I had been given an old ATX case, and I decided to buy the Soyo board so I could give the Asus system to some friends who had no computer. But Tiger Direct is notorious for screwing up orders, and they sent me a Soyo Socket A motherboard. As it was more expensive than what I had ordered, I decided to keep it, but I had to scramble and order a CPU so I could use it. So I never did get a Soyo Socket 7 motherboard.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 4 of 5, by Stedman5040

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Surely the question should be is there a better cpu I can use for my Asus P5-99VM motherboard. Of coarse there is. This motherboard is capable of running a K6 plus cpu at 600MHz and most likely at an fsb of 133Mhz. The SIS530 chipset unofficially supports an fsb of 133 with a 1/4 divider. So the PCI bus runs in spec at 33MHZ. Also you can disable the onboard AGP and run a PCI video card like Voodoo 3 PCI.
I have the Gigabyte GA-5SMM board which also has the SIS 530 chipset and I have no problems running a K6-450ACZ at 600Mhz with a 133Mhz bus speed. The memory bus on the SIS530 chipset has been universally condemned, but at 133MHz it does run almost as good as the Via MVP3 and Ali aladdinV chipsets albeit at 100MHz!

Stedman

K6 III+ 500
Epox MVPG2
512Mb Hynix CL2 SDRAM
40MB WD HDD
Creative GeForce2 Ti
CMI8738 Sound card

Reply 5 of 5, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stedman5040 wrote:

Surely the question should be is there a better cpu I can use for my Asus P5-99VM motherboard. Of coarse there is. This motherboard is capable of running a K6 plus cpu at 600MHz and most likely at an fsb of 133Mhz. The SIS530 chipset unofficially supports an fsb of 133 with a 1/4 divider. So the PCI bus runs in spec at 33MHZ. Also you can disable the onboard AGP and run a PCI video card like Voodoo 3 PCI.
I have the Gigabyte GA-5SMM board which also has the SIS 530 chipset and I have no problems running a K6-450ACZ at 600Mhz with a 133Mhz bus speed. The memory bus on the SIS530 chipset has been universally condemned, but at 133MHz it does run almost as good as the Via MVP3 and Ali aladdinV chipsets albeit at 100MHz!

Stedman

My recollection was that the 5EMA+ had the Via MVP3 chipset relabeled as ETEQ for some reason. You had me doubting my memory, so I checked: https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/chipset-alias … -vx-pro-and-co/

I spent the spring and summer of 2001 wanting a VA503+ which I wanted to combine with a K6-III+. That was what I initially ordered from Tiger Direct, but it was on back order. Then I was given the ATX case, so I called and changed my order to the Soyo board.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey