VOGONS

Packard bell PB450 repair / mods / upgrade

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 189, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I know that this post is a year old, and sorry for reviving it, but I want to share the method I used to add the 3,3v CPU support, and don't want to create a new post because this one is very complete.
I think is itresting to undevolt the CPU, in my case the 486DX4 100MHz is stable at 2,62v and very very cold.
I know it's not period correct but it's a lot more eficient and gives a voltage very stable compared to the linear voltage regulators, and the XL4005 doesn't get hot at all.

Attachments

Reply 181 of 189, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Huh. That's one interesting method.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 182 of 189, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This method can be used on any 486 motherboard that doesn't have the 3.3v voltage regulator components and should be plenty powerful for any socket 3 compatible processor. It will surely have its problems but I haven't run into any yet.

Reply 183 of 189, by noid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good afternoon, I have an idea to create an open source project for a 146380-Packard Bell PB45F30P expansion PCB. To do this, of course, you need the board itself for its reverse engineering, but you can try to recreate it from a photo in high resolution and from different angles. If anyone wants to help, please post a photo.

noid@engineer.com

Reply 184 of 189, by djgeojoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Packard Bell 450 MB with a VGA video issue, there is vertical banding on the image only when playing games, dos and win 3.11 look fine. I installed an ISA VGA card and the issue is resoled but I want to use the on board VGA as I have installed the 1mb video upgrade to 2mb. Is it possible that the issue is caused by bad caps? if so does someone have a list of caps to replace in the video section I can try? The mainboard is a PC 4401-03 with Cirrus DG5428.

Reply 186 of 189, by ahtoh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hoping wrote on 2022-05-03, 15:14:

Hi, I know that this post is a year old, and sorry for reviving it, but I want to share the method I used to add the 3,3v CPU support, and don't want to create a new post because this one is very complete.
I think is itresting to undevolt the CPU, in my case the 486DX4 100MHz is stable at 2,62v and very very cold.
I know it's not period correct but it's a lot more eficient and gives a voltage very stable compared to the linear voltage regulators, and the XL4005 doesn't get hot at all.

Wires might be too thin for the distance VRM is from the CPU

Reply 187 of 189, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used that connector and wires because I had then at hand, maybe not the best, next time I'm thinking on using a biger connector an thicker wires, thanks for the tip.

Reply 188 of 189, by Nikkorasu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all. I was going through this thread and I've done much of the same without soldering things (just yet) and for whatever reason I cannot get the PCI video card to come up.

Onboard works, but discrete does not. I've changed the vgae jumper on the board and just get a black screen. I know this computer is pushing it's age, but I'm not sure where to start.

It's a Packard Bell Executive 466 (Which uses the 450 motherboard), with a 486DX2-66 processor.

Reply 189 of 189, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Packard Bell enjoyers. Got a mystery for you guys.

I recently performed the full gamut of upgrades on my Legend 204CD with the PB450 motherboard. My system is now voltage modded (image attached) using a method similar to Hoping's method posted above: Re: Packard bell PB450 repair / mods / upgrade. I have also added 512K of cache, 32MB RAM, the Micro Firmware BIOS, etc.

I put in an AMD 5x86-133 ADW, and have had mostly positive results. Except for one strange issue. A small number of programs will cause the keyboard to reset constantly, about twice per second (LEDs flashing). So far this is most noticeable in Descent: If you get into the game and then pause with Esc, while on the "Quit Game" prompt the LEDs will flash. This makes it very difficult to get back out of the menu since the keyboard responds poorly. In addition, sometimes in-game the keys will get "stuck" in the down position or the game will lock up. The only two other places I have observed this so far is the Blood setup program (and only when doing the sound effects test), and the installer for XCOM: UFO Defense (keyboard LEDs flashing during disk copy). It's mostly been a nuisance up to this point but now I've also run into some minor file system corruption across multiple disks now, which is suspicious.

I performed the following tests/swaps to rule things out:

• removed all cards
  • memory test
  • cache test + tested with cache removed
  • power supply swap to a modern ATX w/ adapter
  • slightly increased voltage to the 5x86 to 3.5v
  • switched FSB from 33mhz to 25mhz

That basically left the voltage mod as suspect, so I bypassed the mod and tried the original DX2-66 @ 5v with Descent since it shows the most obvious issues. No problems. Then to test the voltage mod, I tried running it at 3.3V (which it works fine at)... also no problems. Hmmm. So I pulled out as many 486's as I could find in storage and tested them all with interesting results.

• Intel 486DX2-66 (original CPU for this system, not sure of S-Spec due to glued on heatsink) - no problems
  • AMD Am486DX4-100 (SV8B, 25544 package code) - problems
  • AMD Am486DX4-120 (SV8B, 25398 package code, running at 100mhz since this board doesn't do 40mhz FSB) - no problems
  • AMD Am5x86-133 ADW (25544 package code) - problems
  • IBM/Cyrix 5x86C-100HF - no problems

So the issue is seemingly limited to AMD CPUs based on the 5x86, which use the 25544 package code. The big difference between those and the DX4-120 that does work is that the 25544s are a later 350nm package with 16KB L1 according to the info here. The thing is, though, that plenty of people have run 5x86s on this board, both through voltage mods and standard upgrade kits with regulators, and I've seen no mention of problems. I even checked Usenet archives to see if anyone reported anything back in the day. What exactly is going on here?

I'm using the IBM 5x86C for now since it seems to be the fastest CPU that isn't presenting issues, but I would love to know what in particular is different about the AMD 5x86 that is causing it to act up. If anyone has more CPUs to test maybe we can see if my findings are a coincidence, or localized to my specific machine.

Also a side mystery, can anyone help me figure out what VRAM I need to do the VRAM upgrade? Per the manual, it wants "two 256x16 (70ns) DRAM ZIP chips with (2) CAS lines (symmetrical)". I bought some NEC chips I thought would be compatible (NEC D424170V-70), but when installed the system then only detects 512K of VRAM instead of the default 1MB or the upgraded 2MB. Very strange. I'm guessing they don't fit the "symmetrical CAS lines" requirement since it seems oddly specific, but I couldn't find enough info to tell. I am fairly sure the chips are not defective, as I have 10 of them and I find it hard to believe that all 10 would be bad.

Attachments

Wafflenet OPL Archive - Preserving MS-DOS music in a unified format!