VOGONS

First post, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’m making a Voodoo5 build at the moment and have 2 board/CPU combinations to choose from, both from around 2001-2002.

The first combo is an ECS P6IPAT board and 1.4ghz Tualatin combo - runs great at 1.58ghz but doesn’t have the option to go any higher than 150FSB. PC133 RAM.

Second combo is an ASUS A7A266 board which was quite highly regarded from what I can gather - supports DDR RAM, adjustable CPU voltage, 1.4ghz T-bird fitted.

Any suggestions welcome on which of these would be faster/more suitable - I’m thinking the T-bird would be faster if I can get a decent overclock out of it due to the DDR ram and potential for higher clock speeds. I’ve seen benchmarks showing the two CPUs just about neck and neck but I wonder if the DDR and (maybe slightly) higher clock speed on the T-bird would clinch it. Of course the PIII runs nice and cool whereas the T-bird... doesn’t. So if there’s not much in it I’ll stick with the PIII.

I don’t want to go any newer than these really 😀

- P-MMX 200MHZ, PCChips M598LMR, Voodoo
- P-MMX 233MHz, FIC PA2013, S3 ViRGE + Voodoo
- PII 400MHz, MSI MS6119, ATI Rage Pro Turbo + Voodoo2 SLI
- PIII 1400MHz, ECS P6IPAT, Voodoo5 5500
- Toshiba Libretto 110CT, 300MHz, 96MB RAM

Reply 1 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting challenge. I suspect the Tbird will win, but in a close race.

Build both and compare, I'd say.

The motherboards are more interesting. Not sure where you heard that the A7A266 was highly regarded. It was possibly the best ALi Magik1 board, but that chipset was a piece of crap, performing no better than the Via KT133A SDR-SDRAM chipset and far worse than the AMD760 and SiS735, not even managing to equal the lackluster Via KT266.
The ECS P6IPAT is the exact opposite - probably the fastest Tualatin chipset (assuming you don't want more than 512MB, in which case you'd be better off with SiS635T), but ECS=PC Chips (at least at this point in history) with quality & options to match.

So a fair comparison would be between the A7M266 and TUSL-C, but here both CPUs are hobbled in a different way.

Reply 2 of 11, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:
Interesting challenge. I suspect the Tbird will win, but in a close race. […]
Show full quote

Interesting challenge. I suspect the Tbird will win, but in a close race.

Build both and compare, I'd say.

The motherboards are more interesting. Not sure where you heard that the A7A266 was highly regarded. It was possibly the best ALi Magik1 board, but that chipset was a piece of crap, performing no better than the Via KT133A SDR-SDRAM chipset and far worse than the AMD760 and SiS735, not even managing to equal the lackluster Via KT266.
The ECS P6IPAT is the exact opposite - probably the fastest Tualatin chipset (assuming you don't want more than 512MB, in which case you'd be better off with SiS635T), but ECS=PC Chips (at least at this point in history) with quality & options to match.

So a fair comparison would be between the A7M266 and TUSL-C, but here both CPUs are hobbled in a different way.

Ah crap... I think I might have been looking at the A7M266 when I was reading up on it 😁 still, I didn’t pay anything for it so I’m not too disappointed.

The P6IPAT I’ve got seems to be built pretty well with good Japanese caps etc. That combo certainly smashes 3Dmark2000 with the Voodoo5 but other than that I haven’t benched it. Will do some more benchmarks and try the V5 out in the Asus board maybe.

I don’t think the multipliers on a Tualatin can be changed can they... on the T-bird they can be changed with the “pencil mod” which would be another bonus.

Reply 3 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tualatin is multiplier-locked - no pencils here. Not that it makes a huge difference - in the case of Tualatin the FSB of the motherboard is the limiting factor anyway. If you can do 150MHz FSB you're doing well in any event.

TBH I wouldn't be too concerned about exact benchmark results. Compared to really old stuff this lot all fly, compared to anything from the last 10 years they are ancient. They are close enough that I doubt that anything will run on the one and not on the other, so I'd focus on motherboard size & features if you have to choose.

Reply 4 of 11, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:

Tualatin is multiplier-locked - no pencils here. Not that it makes a huge difference - in the case of Tualatin the FSB of the motherboard is the limiting factor anyway. If you can do 150MHz FSB you're doing well in any event.

TBH I wouldn't be too concerned about exact benchmark results. Compared to really old stuff this lot all fly, compared to anything from the last 10 years they are ancient. They are close enough that I doubt that anything will run on the one and not on the other, so I'd focus on motherboard size & features if you have to choose.

Yup it runs happily at 150MHz all day long, stock CPU voltage. That’s the highest the board goes. Probably wouldn’t have done much more than that anyway.

Yeah I see what you’re saying about the benchmark results... just if one’s going to edge the other in games I may as well use that one 😀

https://www.realworldtech.com/760-vs-magik1/2/ - quite an interesting comparison I thought, not a huuuge gulf but those few percentage points might make all the differen

Reply 6 of 11, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't see many people going for Tbird rigs. They'll have their day in the sun at some point soon 😜

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 7 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BeginnerGuy wrote:

I don't see many people going for Tbird rigs. They'll have their day in the sun at some point soon 😜

At the time they were great in terms of raw performance and value for money, but if those two factors are no longer that relevant you are left with a very hot-running CPU with fragile core, motherboards inevitably plagued with bad caps (and stressed by the high power draw) and little to offer that the newer, cooler (in both ways) AthlonXPs couldn't.

Agreed that they will have their day in the sun, if only because of all the dead motherboards being thrown out and the fragility of the core, supply might well be very limited, even if demand remains low.

Reply 8 of 11, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes the SSE thing is something to consider... I guess the only way to find out is to get the T-bird overclocked and run some benchmarks 😀 I’m fully aware any difference between the two is extremely unlikely to be at all noticeable or maybe even measurable but if there’s a couple of percentage points either way I might as well use that one. The boards are comparable size and features wise - the ASUS one edges it slightly there.

Apparently the later BIOS updates can help close the performance gap between the ALI and the better chipsets so that’ll be on the to-do list.

Due to the reasons outlined above I might pick the T-bird just to go for something different 😁 I’ve always been an Intel guy and worst case I swap the motherboards back over...

Last edited by britain4 on 2018-06-28, 07:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't see many people going for Tbird rigs.

Because there's no practical reason to choose Thunderbird over 266mhz FSB Thoroughbred-B. Of course if you have decent KT133A+ board.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 10 of 11, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apparently the board I have will take a 266MHz Barton no problem so much more scope for CPU upgrades than the other board.

However I’ve got a spare Palomino I’ve tried in there and either the board doesn’t support it or the CPU is dead.

The T-bird isnt a great overclocker either, even with a voltage bump to 1.85v it struggles to top 1.5ghz with any stability whichever combination of multipliers/FSB I use. Considering the Tualatin does 1.58 just from increasing the FSB...

3dmark results are pretty much neck and neck between the two at their max overclocks when using hardware T&L emulation but take around a 5-10% hit compared to the PIII when not using it.

I’d definitely have to move up to a faster Athlon to see any benefits. Thought the DDR memory might make a difference but it doesn’t, most likely due to some bottleneck (ALI chipset or the V5?)

Last edited by britain4 on 2018-06-28, 13:53. Edited 2 times in total.