VOGONS

First post, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have just finished doing a repair on 386 board after a leaked varta battery and it got me thiking if there is any danger of this on a Packard bell pb600.

The Pb600 has a soldered on button cell 3v but also has a option for external 3.6v, the battery has not failed yet and system is working well but wondering if those soldered button cells leak, anybody here with a pb600 had any issues with stock bios battery or done any preventative mods?

20180701_102027.jpg

Its the one at the bottom running a p133, sorry no internal pics think all those motherboard variations had the soldered button cell

Reply 1 of 2, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
treeman wrote:
I have just finished doing a repair on 386 board after a leaked varta battery and it got me thiking if there is any danger of th […]
Show full quote

I have just finished doing a repair on 386 board after a leaked varta battery and it got me thiking if there is any danger of this on a Packard bell pb600.

The Pb600 has a soldered on button cell 3v but also has a option for external 3.6v, the battery has not failed yet and system is working well but wondering if those soldered button cells leak, anybody here with a pb600 had any issues with stock bios battery or done any preventative mods?

20180701_102027.jpg

Its the one at the bottom running a p133, sorry no internal pics think all those motherboard variations had the soldered button cell

If it's a CR2032 lithium cell, there is a small risk fire or violent explosion, but it's much less than a NiCd cell like your Varta and often requires substantial abuse (like high voltage and/or current).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder