VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now that I have some working old computers what can I do with them ?
I have some working 1990’s computers with voodoo graphics, sound blaster, cdrom, modem, and Ethernet, Netscape web browser, IE-5.

Now what can I do with them ?

Are there still dial up providers around to dial into ?
What about bulletin boards ?
BBS’s ?
Wild Cat servers ?

I have PC’s and Mac’s with modems and Ethernet internet access.

Reply 1 of 15, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can give them to me! 🤣

Seriously though, I don't know much about using dialup these days (been 16 years since I used it) but older systems are great for running old software the way it was meant to be run. Specifically, games. That's basically why this section of this forum exists. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 15, by Damaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The most popular things:

• Games (DOS games and especially early Win95/98/XP games that are problematic to run any other way)
  • Connecting to BBSes (via telnet over Ethernet or via some kind of terminal program and a serial solution)
  • Retroprogramming - writing old games and software. This is mainly what I do with my vintage computers (though I generally do the actual development on modern hardware in DOSBox).
  • General tinkering - swapping out new hardware, installing new software, overclocking, etc.

I haven't tried dialing into anything because I don't have a modem in any of my retro PCs (or a land line), but there must be something out there to connect to.

Reply 3 of 15, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Learning about the hardware and a bit of assembly and C are the things I find the most interesting. You can use these old machines to educate yourself with style so to speak.

Playing games per se gets boring fast.

Reply 4 of 15, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Damaniel wrote:
. […]
Show full quote
  • Retroprogramming - writing old games and software.
    This is mainly what I do with my vintage computers (though I generally do the actual development on modern hardware in DOSBox).

Cool, I have similar interests. I love to try out schematics and try to build circuits I dreamed of in my childhood.
Examples:
- Controlling some blinken lights on parallel port and writing some code in QuickBASIC for that
- Building some interfaces for weather FAX reception on shortwave
- Experimenting with the game port (can be used as a digitizer)
- Use older microcontrollers (BASIC stamps)
- Build DIY interfaces for old PIC/AVR controllers (software on DOS)
- Learn programming the AdLib
- Use my PC/XT clone as an IC/transistor database
- Build CGA to SCART adapters
- Etc, etc.

😀

Edit: Here's a pic of the vintage IC/transistor database program that I use.

Attachments

• ic-db.gif
    Filename
    ic-db.gif
    File size
    119.58 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    ic-database on a 4.77MHz XT clone w/ MDA graphics (alphanumeric mode).
    Video URL: https://youtu.be/cMZK64LaUn0
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Jo22 on 2018-07-08, 12:34. Edited 1 time in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 15, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just have mine to have them, I mean I don't need a pretty 2.8, athlon XP 2800, athlon 64 3400, opteron 180 🤣

Reply 9 of 15, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have Intel 486's, pentium , P3's and AMD k6-2's
And I have Mac Performa 575, Apple TV, Color Classic , G3's and G4's.

All working perfectly with modems and ethernet and web browsers. They can surf the internet but limited on websites.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2018-07-06, 18:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 15, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I asked this question fairly soon after I got into the hobby. I was told "We store them!". 'What the hell', I thought, 'there's no point in that! Why do the hobby at all!?'

A year later I have a cupboard full of old computers stored. huh.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 11 of 15, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got rid of my computer collection years ago only to find myself with even more computer today. So I just store them so I would buy anymore.
As long as I have them around to play with I won't be tempted to purchase more.

Reply 12 of 15, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Almoststew1990 wrote:

A year later I have a cupboard full of old computers stored. huh.

Haha, I do the same. It's not complete useless, though. Keep in mind that we're no business people.

We love our stuff and take good care of it. This comes in handy if developers of emulators need our help, for example.
Our hobby makes us to preservers of the past, preservers of the beginning of the computer age and digital society.
In 60 or 90 years, we or our successors will be the last to have the knowledge to repair or operate these machines.
And the original hardware of course. Museums and universities, maybe too. But they are a minority and throw their
stuff out of their collections sometimes.

This reminds me of an article on the news: Amiga freaks saved digital paintings of a popular artist who drew them in the 80s.
The paintings were drawn on an A1000 with an early painting program and stored on 3.5" floppies in Amiga format.
A normal computer user of today would not have been able to read them, maybe trying to put them in an USB floppy
drive on Windows 10 or Linux and getting to the false conclusion that these disks were damaged.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Games are the main thing. If not for playing then to compare how different sound cards sound OPL vs clones, Different Midi, Midi vs AWE, GUS
or how glide compares to D3D (or one of the even less popular formats like S3D or EMBM, etc)

Get network games running just because you can, or something like running doom in 3 screen mode.
Vanilla / Dos Doom in 3 screen mode. I finally did it!

try out different OS's on specific hardware/The challenge of finding the correct drivers. eg all 3 of your systems should be able to play a game in dos.
(I still want to build a Netware server and a Os2 system)

But mostly I'd say its to finally get that dream system we always wanted growing up

Reply 15 of 15, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Damaniel wrote:

Retroprogramming - writing old games and software. This is mainly what I do with my vintage computers (though I generally do the actual development on modern hardware in DOSBox).

Retro hardware can be fun to program for but retro dev tools are painful.