VOGONS

First post, by Phreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, as statet in another thread, I can't get the P3 to work in my CUBX board. It's a BX chipset board.

CPU is 1000Mhz, 256k cache, 133FSB, coppermine, SL4MF stepping
It SHOULD run in the board shouldn't it?
I put it in, jumperless setting, as it's a new cpu, bios tells me to set the frequency. in failsafe it runs at 500Mhz, 66 FSB. Multiplier is correctly fixed (greyed out) at 7.5. If i set the FSB to 100/33 or 133/33, it doesn't boot anymore. black screen, but all fans running.
If i set the dipswitch manuall to 7.5 x 133, agp set to 2/3 of FSB (other possibility is 1xFSB, which would be way too much), the PC detects my tnt2 pro, and stays at that screen.
it already had the latest bios 1008 beta 4 and i also tested the modded tualatin bios,same story.

any other idea? (RAM is PC133 with 8 chips, tested all my bars, from 128 to 512MB)

ArGUS Parts list: http://bit.ly/2Ddf89V

Reply 1 of 15, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try setting the dipswitches manually to 7.5x100

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 2 of 15, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Coppermines have locked multipliers and whatever is set via the multi dipswitch is ignored - you can only affect the fsb.
The SL4MF cpu is of the older stepping cC0 but I am not sure if that matters.
http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL4MF.html
I have a later cD0 version here, the SL52R, and that one runs fine on a BX board. That later stepping runs on 1.75volt and you could try to raise the voltage on your cpu accordingly but I would not have too much hope because I have not been very successful with fiddleing with early Coppermines. You could also try a PCI videocard, maybe the AGP overclock causes a problem.

Reply 3 of 15, by Phreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i already tried 100FSB and 133FSB, but nope 😒
Voltage can only be set in bios, also tested with 1.7, 1.75 and even 1.9.

will test with a later AGP card and PCI, good idea

Reply 4 of 15, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could also try to find out what the board does with a native fsb 100 cpu @100 & overclocked. If it behaves correctly then (if I were you) I would try to find a cpu with cD0 stepping, they are really different.

Reply 5 of 15, by Phreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

with 100FSB i can get into the bios, but than the system hangs. tested various AGP and PCI cards. I wonder how other people manage to run a Tualatin on it, which also has 133 FSB

Reply 11 of 15, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cover the pins of the CPU itself, (not through bios selection) to force the CPU to run at 100mhz. I have a PIII 1ghz that will not post on a 400bx whatever I do. By connecting B21 to ground it forces 100mhz and will boot. If I force 100mhz through Bios it will not post.

Reply 12 of 15, by Neotwit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this board since 2003 and a tualatin cpu on it ( also get world record of overclock... it done post and do memtest at 1950mhz 150mfb on a 1.3 tualatin cpu with lid on, just polished)
I kept as my retropc with win98 on it...

For everyday use, 1610MHz was nice for him at 1.6v

see: https://www.hardware.fr/myocdb.com/fiche11395.html

it's strange that it not work, did you try just reset, put automatic, put minimum on the board (1 memory slot at a time, cpu, good heatsink, + 1 agp or pci video, no sound card, no lan, no sata card...)
IT IS sensitive to AGP and pci card, I got a lot of them not work at overclocked AGP (matrox G400...), and finish with a generic ATI 8500 32mb card... that can do overclock easy 😉

Yes, copermine cpu is supposed work direct without pin mods or tualatin mod socket (check if some pins was not modded,cut on socket...)
You said have last modded bios... it should recognize it

To say, those board are same base as the p3bf slot and they are reliable over time, my friend have a retro asus p3fb and still works fine too
they not suffer from bad capacitor as ABIT, MSI... mine looks brand new 😉
I notices that the lock gen chip was burning hot, I put a glued radiator on since buying (it's the component that get the most hot)
On high overclock, transistor and coil get REAL hot, it need good air flow around cpu

I like it a lot, it have an isa slot to match old soundcard
When we did lan play, I was able play a day without crash (all my friend had crash every 3-4 hours of play...)

My system are:
Asus CUBX with ata66 (disabled)
celeron tualatin 1.3 good stepping SL6JT (I was tried all of them, it's the best stepping of all tualatin cpu for overclock)
3 row of very good 7 nanoseconds micro tech pc 133 cas 2/2/2 memory (2x128 and 1x256 =512mb)
promose sata HDD card, 2x160wd 7200 HDD
Dlink rj45 card
awe64 gold

Last edited by Neotwit on 2018-07-26, 02:01. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 14 of 15, by Neotwit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also, I want an info, can you tell me the numbers on the clock generator chip? ICS-XXXXX (I always wanted to know the numbers of this chip, mine have a radiator glued on it since very long time...) 😉

Reply 15 of 15, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another reason to have extra procs on hand of different ratings so there would at least be something to get by with instead of this trouble.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.