VOGONS

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is the most common VGA problems and is there a solution?
Always talking about OLD retro videocards, ISA - VESA - PCI - AGP i have seen different issues from time to time

After cleaning golden contacts.

1) Some video cards on boot only the letters in DOS have a CYAN color. Is this a fault with the vga connector? gpu? memory?
2) Some video cards on boot, show you text correctly, but with vertical artifacts all over the screen. Is this fault of GPU or Memory?
3) Some video cards on boot.. show no artifacts, but text is shown as random letter or letters changed to symbol. Is this fault of gpu or memory?

how do you know if it is a memory issue?
how do you know if its a GPU chip issue (old videocards have gpu chips with many legs)

Reply 1 of 3, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

for example i have this videocard
notice how massive those memory chips are, and i dont think its easy to find replacement for those.

the card works, boots but the text is all messed up, what should be words is all symbols on the screen.
probably those memory chips are bad?

product-80501.jpg

Reply 2 of 3, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cga.8086 wrote:

1) Some video cards on boot only the letters in DOS have a CYAN color. Is this a fault with the vga connector? gpu? memory?

Probably due to bad contacts for the RED signal on the VGA connector, meaning only blue and green make it from the card to the screen.

Cga.8086 wrote:

2) Some video cards on boot, show you text correctly, but with vertical artifacts all over the screen. Is this fault of GPU or Memory?

Probably bad RAMDAC or other output circuitry problems, as long as no problems are observed in DOS or windows, otherwise probably GPU memory

Cga.8086 wrote:

3) Some video cards on boot.. show no artifacts, but text is shown as random letter or letters changed to symbol. Is this fault of gpu or memory?

If you get random letter artifacts, incorrect letters on Text screens or random dots on graphics modes, it means you are probably having problems with graphics memory.

For your CL-GD5428, you are probably right regarding the memory chips. If they are on sockets, try removing and carefully reinstalling to see if the contact has gone bad over time.

Reply 3 of 3, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cga.8086 wrote:
for example i have this videocard notice how massive those memory chips are, and i dont think its easy to find replacement for t […]
Show full quote

for example i have this videocard
notice how massive those memory chips are, and i dont think its easy to find replacement for those.

the card works, boots but the text is all messed up, what should be words is all symbols on the screen.
probably those memory chips are bad?

Most likely you can remove those 4 chips and use the 8 sockets on their right with adequate RAMs.