VOGONS

First post, by jsp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I got my hands into a good looking ibm ps/2 model 76i. Despite the good looks the machine seems to not be wanting to boot at all. I get no error codes on screen, no beeps come out of the speaker and really I'm a bit lost about what to do to diagnose the problem(s). Any ideas on how to start digging for the causes are more than welcome.

The main issue I have is that this machine is MCA (vs ISA) and I have no spare MCA parts, so the first thing I may have tried is to put another video card in it, but that's unfeasible. I removed the RAM and everything that was attached to the mainboard, and still get nothing at all.

Thanks in advance for any pointers I could follow.

Reply 1 of 1, by jsp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some more additional info:
1) the J23 conenctor (LogicLock socket) has a bunch of cables attached that are not connected on the other end. Could this be an issue?
2) the keyboard lights go on at the very moment I press the power button, and then switch off
3) The psu seems to be working (fans go on, drives flicker their lights and hdd spins)
4) The screen seems to notice when I press the on button, it sort of fades to white and goes back to black immediately, as if it was getting some power. I should mention I am using a spare ps/2 monitor from my model 30-286 which works just fine. But I observed it is lacking some of the pins on the vga connector, maybe it's incompatible with the model 76?