VOGONS

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just want to test it and see that it is working properly in my XT (Tandy). Can you recommend some software?

Reply 1 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CheckIt! (any version) or some CAD programme like AutoSketch.
Sketch is fine for thestin x87 on XTs, by the way. You can see the x87 in action.
In addition, you can find some videos related to 8087 in my channel, if you like.

Edit: Typo fixed.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 4, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks Jo!

I used Auto Sketch 2.0 "Flowers.SKD" as a benchmark on my Tandy 1000SX equipped with an 8088-2, 8087 and an 286 Accelerator Board with 80287-8.

Here's how long it took to draw..

286 Express with Cache Off - 12:00
8088 @ 4.77mhz - 7:23
8088 @ 7.16mhz - 6:22
286 Express with Cache On - 4:35
8087 - 1:40
80287 - 0:36

Reply 3 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're welcome!

I'm glad it worked for you.

Also +1 for the use of flower.skd. You've got a good taste. :)

In the past I was using mntbike.skd or ericson1.skd, but this one is better.
For once, because it is quite complex and because it draws all different shapes,
such as curves, lines,straights, ovals, filled figures and so on.
An because it being ancient, can be opened on different versions of the program.
(The only other comparable which I know of is columbia.skd, which originated from old ACAD: columbia.dwg/dxf)

Edit: My best time is 1:51. :)
I ran the benchmark on my Nixdorf 8810, a PC/XT clone with a 4.77MHz 8088 and 8087.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 4, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice.

I had to run v2.0 because only the Sketch.exe would run for me in the original version. Sketch87 would hang. In 2.0 they came on different disks so I just have two different folders I use for each one.

I had installed a 8087-2 since the system has a 8088-2 (with 4.77/7.16 toggle) I wonder if that makes any difference.