VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need some recommendations for a slot 1 Pentium 3 CPU to reattach the heat sink, this one does not have the usual fan assembly that clips onto the heat sink instead it just has a heat sink held to the CPU/PCB with 4 plastic do-hickies that take a lot of pressure to get out but there is play from the heat sink if you give it some movement and because of the movement I thought normal thermal paste would not be good enough and instead I wanted to know if there are recommendations other than thermal paste like thermal pads or thermal tape. I have looked around and found these 2....

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/4712/seki … 0-thermal-tape/

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/29189/ek- … hermal-pad-1mm/

Is the above good or is there something better?

Reply 1 of 7, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just replace the cooler that uses a sliding metal clip, if you cant or unwilling there is a method that might work and that is the bolt down however finding the right sized bolts both in length and thickness wont be easy.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 7, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thats a great idea by using some nuts and bolts as my CPU doesnt have any metal clips heres what I have to work with

20180713_000442_zpsmrbfq8lx.jpg

and this is all held together with some stupid plastic things that I have broken all but one and because of these plastic things the heat sink moves around if you put slight weight so the thermal paste gets messed up thats why I thought thermal pads or thermal tape would be better

20180713_000550_zps3lalnmll.jpg

What is a good thermal pad to use I have seen graphics card thermal pads but it does not specify if they can be used on a CPU, would graphics card pads be ok to use on a CPU that is running at 500MHz

Reply 3 of 7, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No need to over-engineer imo. For a mod like that I used 4x 3mm bolts to attach the sink to the backplate and used a bit of regular cooling paste on the die. The backplate is of a very tough kind of plastic and you may need to widen the holes a tiny bit in order for the bolts to get grip. When you do it like that there wil be no 'moving around' of the sink. I would not screw in the bolts too tight though, and you have to tighten them evenly, or you could damage the die or the pcb.

Reply 4 of 7, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I managed to do this

20180713_024346_zpsconw0wzf.jpg

I have used some thermal pad I had laying around its probably not the best so I will keep an eye on it in the Bios temps to see how hot it gets and if its to much I will use thermal paste

Reply 5 of 7, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that looks ok too. Still prefer nforce4max's suggestion to use a clip-on sink - like this:
http://goughlui.com/the-cpu-corner/slot-1-intel/
scroll down to:
Intel Pentium III SL35E 500Mhz

Solutions like that are for sale on Ebay for between 6 and 9 dollars or so.