VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by dankcomputing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had no idea the pinout was different on laptop edition LS120s. I've been tinkering with shoving one inside one of those media reader + floppy drive combos but always had problems fitting a laptop CD USB (or even normal IDE) bridge inside. Thanks for taking the time to make an adaptor that will work!

Reply 21 of 25, by pietja

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
EleDip wrote on 2021-02-21, 07:42:

Ah thanks, should be able to download V2 now (https://electronicsluckydip.com/store/LS120_Adapter_PCB.html).

I checked your website and videos about this adapter because i found a similar LS120 drive in a dead oscilloscope.
One thing i noticed is that you mention the KX15 connectors in your video's and in the Mouser Project.
The KX15 is the connector in the LS120 drive itself, you need the KX14 connector on the adapter PCB.
So if people order the basket from Mouser they end up with the wrong gender connector.
This is the connector you want on the adapter https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000139121762.html

Reply 22 of 25, by EleDip

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pietja wrote on 2022-01-11, 17:48:
I checked your website and videos about this adapter because i found a similar LS120 drive in a dead oscilloscope. One thing i n […]
Show full quote

I checked your website and videos about this adapter because i found a similar LS120 drive in a dead oscilloscope.
One thing i noticed is that you mention the KX15 connectors in your video's and in the Mouser Project.
The KX15 is the connector in the LS120 drive itself, you need the KX14 connector on the adapter PCB.
So if people order the basket from Mouser they end up with the wrong gender connector.
This is the connector you want on the adapter https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000139121762.html

Thanks very much for catching this ! I couldn't find any equivalent on Mouser unfortunately but good to see there's apparently some on Aliexpress.

Last edited by EleDip on 2022-01-28, 22:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 25, by pietja

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The KX14-50K2D-** on Aliexpress is a low height version.
On most CD-ROM adapters they use the KX14-50K5D-** so there is room for the pins of the other connectors.
The strange thing is that JAE still sells the KX14/15 series except the KX14-50 versions that we need for these adapters 🙁

Reply 24 of 25, by FennecTECH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How much would you charge for one that the parts installed ? Im hoping to make a neat external floppy drive from one of these but i cannot do surface mount. Im perfectly willing to pay the cost and a bit for your time. I saw you do accept bitcoin. Do you also take litecoin. Or would paypal be viable (as i prefer that)

Reply 25 of 25, by EleDip

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FennecTECH wrote on 2022-08-28, 15:56:

How much would you charge for one that the parts installed ? Im hoping to make a neat external floppy drive from one of these but i cannot do surface mount. Im perfectly willing to pay the cost and a bit for your time.

Unfortunately I'm not able to provide these boards finished as a service, nor do I have any of the KX14-50K2D-** connectors available. The best bet to get a single connector still seems to be to extract from a IDE slim drive adapter from Aliexpress or eBay then perhaps you could find someone who is able to do the soldering for you - all the best.