VOGONS

First post, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I have more or less completed my dual boot win98se /XPpro build ..
and is currently equipped with a DVD rom ..CD R/W ...and an IDE CD/PD drive
Sadly the PD drive is never mounted by win98 ..but works just fine with XP booted ..
I guess this unit was introduced after 98 was retired...so isn't accommodated by the OS ...which leads me onto the next device ..
A Mitsumi FA402M multi card reader ..which connects to a usb mobo pin header.....and a standard 3.5 inch floppy IDC.
Thus the floppy drive is seen by both operating systems ...the multicard portion of the combo unit is picked up immediately by XP ...but although was recognised as new hardware by 98 ...asked for a driver ..
I simpy pointed it to 98 Windows>System ...but it doesn't actually function.
Again I assume this may well be a legacy issue just like the PD drive.
I was hoping that because I installed unofficial service pack 3 ...I might have had a chance ..
Sadly no go ..
Question ..has anyone seen or used one of these Misumi FA402M drives ...?
If so ..did they come with a win98 driver disk ?
rgds
VS

Attachments

• mitsumi.jpg
    Filename
    mitsumi.jpg
    File size
    10.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 6, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suggest you to try NUSB 3.3 generic USB driver update (unofficial) for Windows 98. I did not tried it for the device you mentioned, but I used it for about three different multiple card readers (one of them was quite modern) and several different pen drives and it worked with all of them nicely.

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/win9 … age-drivers.php

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 5 of 6, by Cbb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know of utility that has ability to dynamically "collect" multicardreader's 3 or 4 logical drives to a single drive letter? i.e. if no card inserted in a slot it will not be seen in windows explorer. I've heared of such program (may be it is for some special branded reader only) about 15 years ago, but I can't recall the details.

Reply 6 of 6, by Dhigan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good info can be found here. Some manufacturers provided Win98 drivers ...
I am looking for the Alcor 6368. Would someone have this one : k101_win98.zip (emtec-international) ?
Thanks in advance.

Answer to myself :
The trick is that you need to install the nusb33e.exe driver for win98 BEFORE you plug the internal reader to the motherboard

Win 3.1 : HP Omnibook 425 + Toshiba T2130CT
Win 9x : Dell Latitude Cpx H500GT + Dell GX1
Win XP64 : Asus P5B Xeon