VOGONS

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a Thrustmaster Dual Trigger 3-in-1 gamepad I bought some years ago. It was replaced with a Xbox 360 wireless gamepad, mostly because it didn't support XInput.

Lately, I've been playing Ori and the blind forest, and my palms ends sweating because I got nervous and we're in summer. The Thrustmaster gamepad has rubber grips, but that rubber is degrading and it's... sticky. It feels like having something dirty on the hands. I had another Thrustmaster gamepad (Dual Analog 3) that got broken, but it was getting sticky before I had to recycle it.

How can I restore that grips? I'd want to keep the rubber grips (so the gamepad won't slide), but without that sticky feel.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 1 of 2, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GOOD NEWS: It seems that isopropyl alcohol did the trick. I've a some CPU cleaning wipe and the gamepad is almost non-sticky (but still don't slide from your hands, as it was when bought). Another wipe and it will be fully restored.

BAD NEWS: I used google to find a solution, and it seems that some (rubberized) cameras have the same problem. People that recommends this solution says that rubber will degrade again, so it seems that it's a temporary solution (but it will take some years to get sticky rubber again).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 2, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

New genuine Xbox360 wireless controllers are still high priced +40euros€=50$usd.
Put those cheap 3rd party chinese rubber cover grips on those 2pcs analog joystics.
The "mushrooms" wear otherwise very fast.
The covers come in different shapes and fit all consoles like playstations and such.

I have dry hands myself but I have seen some sweaty\oily handed people smooth out textured keyboard caps in 1 year. Those kind of hands have some silly reaction to plastic and rubber.

Chinese sell those analog joystick spare heads but they have usually shorter stem than genuine.