VOGONS

First post, by Wolfbayne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

gFl91vY.jpg?1
I recently managed to rescue a large amount of old PC hardware. Pictured above is about half of it. I will get the rest in the end of September. A lot of it is sadly in bad condition, dirty, corroded and banged up. Lot's of capacitors knocked loose among other damage. But hopefully I can rescue some of it.

Among the items was one that really caught my eye as I've recently been researching parts for a "dream" 486 build.
bESXBl0.jpg
It had an AMD 486 DX2-80 in it. Was hoping this would work so I could put an AMD 5x86-133 in it and run it at 160. That for me is the pinnacle of 486. However the board was in terrible condition, and even after cleaning it up and re-soldering a loose capacitor. It shows no signs of life 🙁 I will keep fiddling with it, but considering how corroded a lot of the lanes were, I doubt I'll be able to get it going.

Instead I got this running for now:
RCYcH9g.jpg

A ECS P5SD-B+ baby-AT Super Socket 7 board, with an AMD K6-200. And here's what I'm planning to put in it for graphics and sound:
Tm2rcL6.jpg

The AGP S3 Trio card should be great for DOS performance, and the soundcard is a Yamaha YMF719-s OPL3. Not exactly sure what it is, the closest I can find is an Audician 32. The model "ATC-6631" indicates that it's manufatured by Atrend. Here's hoping the Audician drivers work 😁

More to follow. So much stuff... Will compile a list and share.

Reply 2 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not just PC hardware. That thing in the box looks like a DEC Alpha 164LX 😮

Apart from that it's a good haul but nothing too spectacular that I can see (although those Voodoo Rush cards are pretty sought-after these days, even though they were and are really pretty crap). But that Alpha... wow!

Reply 3 of 6, by Wolfbayne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote:

Not just PC hardware. That thing in the box looks like a DEC Alpha 164LX 😮

DEC Alpha is a PC too you know 😉

Yes, that Alpha is still in it's original box, with original HSF and driver floppy, and a few pages of original paperwork even. Sadly it was too big to bring with me on this trip, it'll come home with me next time. Hoping to find that thing a good home. I don't know nearly enough about Alphas to do such a rare find justice.

Yeah other than that a lot of standard stuff, but it's important to save it I think. We're losing too much history. Another standout is the BRAND NEW socket 370 board on the mid right of the table.

Reply 6 of 6, by df00z

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Wolfbayne wrote:

....and the soundcard is a Yamaha YMF719-s OPL3. Not exactly sure what it is, the closest I can find is an Audician 32. The model "ATC-6631" indicates that it's manufatured by Atrend. Here's hoping the Audician drivers work 😁

Yup, it will. OPL3SAX, SETUPSA will make the card work dandy. Literally just dealt with one of those 5 minutes ago, that exact card. Haha.