VOGONS

First post, by Der_Richter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok... So i am restoring a CDS520 AIO back into nice condition. I received it in a decent shape, with some upgrades already such as added RAM and a DX4 100 Overdrive CPU. Now, i have owned a few of these, but i have never replaced the drive units in them before. This one however has a Creative Quad Speed CD unit, that is REALLY dying. It's scratching along trying to read discs and the laser seems hit and miss. So i would like to replace it with a Creative 24x of newer standard, that i refurbished a while back. BUT... How in the name of flying pigs are you supposed to get to the CD unit? Sliding out the motherboard insert, it's impossible to reach it from the back, as it's half embedded into the front panel. The two screws on the bottom of the front panel, when undone only loosens the bottom of the panel, while the top part of the panel remains solidly stuck to the case. I assume there are either clips or more screws to be found somewhere? Has anyone done this operation on a CDS 5xx AIO and can tell me how? Cheers.

Preserver, refurbisher, collector. In that order.

Reply 1 of 1, by NORTHERN WALLY

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess you sorted this out by finding the two screws in bottom front? Did you have any issues with loading CDROM? I recently bought a 48X from a Quad speed CD ROM. The Quad speed works fine, but the 48x doesn't respond twhne I use DIR command in DOS.