VOGONS

First post, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't want to break anything. So any ideas what to do?

Pressing, pulling on the latch doesn't do anything. Like it's glued or something 😕

The green thing moves up or down. But the black one under it, it's stuck.

zi9Qu8km.jpg

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 1 of 8, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Press down on the tab and have the end of the clip move out as to no longer be in contact with the socket then release the clip. Kinda surprised that someone would ask this, when all else fails you can always press either side of the clip and release from the socket.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 8, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I remember correctly, and in all probability I do, the intended way is to remove the fan and then pull up the green thingie.
Those were one of the nicest intel coolers ever in terms of installation, so easy and without bending and pushing metal hooks.

yhst-90432262887525_2272_336665280.jpg
Filename
yhst-90432262887525_2272_336665280.jpg
File size
14.79 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not a fan of this design. Coppermine core is very fragile and it's very easy to damage it, when demounting such cooler.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 8, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

nforce4max:
clip doesn't move one bit when I press really hard. That's why I'm asking. Don't want break anything.

konc:
yes, it looks like this. I guess the fan must be removed first.

The Serpent Rider:
Tualeron is installed

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 5 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Main thing is to get the clip loose, once that has happened you can twist the cooler off the CPU, it has most probably firmly "glued" itself to the CPu much like you see on lot of AMD CPUs later on. I definitely remember having to do it with all Tualatins and Tualerons when getting their heatsink off for the first time.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 8, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could unclip the fan off the top of the heatsink first, might save it from damage if force needs to be applied. Just squeeze it in on one side first.

Reply 7 of 8, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nothing like seeing the CPU pop out of the socket when you loosen the heatsink and pull it out.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 8 of 8, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My mind has been tired lately but yes should have removed the fan and pull up on the green lever, my advice earlier is for the vastly more common clip design but hopefully it might help newer people someday.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.