VOGONS

First post, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Trying to Mod a VGA Heatsink Cooler.

I have a geforce6800 agp, the cooler is 99% the same model as the 9800gt model (this model is way better because it has copper think metal)

productos34_357.jpg

Because the 6800 is AGP, it has the (HSI chipset ) https://www.quietpc.com/zm-vhs1
On the 6800 heatsink, the big heatsink also covers the HSI chipset.

i wanto to transplant the 9800gt cooler and heatsink into my card, i just need to sand a little bit with a lime a little bit where the HSI goes. I noticed that the original cooler heatsink also had like a "cloth" that touches the HSI with the heatsink.

what material is that? i never saw something like that. only saw memory heat transfer pads that were flat and soft. but this material is like a cloth and more solid.

Can i replace the HSI cloth with a regular Heat Transfer Silicone Pads used in ram chips?
is HSI something that produces a lot of heat? I dont want to burn it.

Reply 1 of 1, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just another thermalpad as you don't need anything esoteric to cool the HSI chip, be warned though that little chip likes to put out some heat so if it can make direct contact on its own with the heat sink without the need of a thermal pad just use thermal compound instead.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.