VOGONS

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1156 must be retro by now. the first core "I" motherboard.
does anyone here got that motherboard model?

ASUS P7H55M-USB3
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7H55MUSB3/

One of the capacitors near the PSU power plug had a leak, and it has eaten 2 or 3 copper traces on the pcb
the problem is that there is no way to know where the traces connected to.

if anyone had it please let me know i just need a HD picture of that area.
or if you know another place where i can ask this please let me know.

Reply 1 of 8, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not retro yet but amazingly useful for a fast XP build, as for the damage I would like to see it preferably in good quality as there is something to learn from this. Modern caps should leak so some of us need to see it especially if the brand of caps is crap and check our boards.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 8, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

here is the grose thing
the first picture was taken from google, its the biggest i was able to find online.
second photo shows the damage, notice how one of the traces was absolutly eaten ,When i got the board that area was covered with a dark brown goo.
third photo is what looks damaged in red, what was not damaged in yellow.

it might be an easy fix after all, because that trace connects to the back of the motherboard so i can just make a jumper wire to the back.

motherboard1.jpg
motherboard2.jpg

Reply 3 of 8, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm quite sure polymer capacitors can't actually leak, as there is no liquid electrolyte in them to leak out. This board uses "100% All High-quality Conductive Polymer Capacitors".

Unless Asus were sneaking electrolytic capacitors-disguised-as-polymers on there instead...

Reply 4 of 8, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have no clue why there was brown goo covering all that area then, nor why it only had eaten that trace.
now i have doubts,,, below the first hole of the removed capacitor leg there is a smd component missing, and i do not know if it was like that or it is actually missing.
I had no luck on finding good quality images

Reply 5 of 8, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like that 8 pin power regulator fried over currenting those traces and probably blowing that cap off the board (or cap shorted killing the regulator). The top of that chip is melted and the left side legs look funky from melting.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 6 of 8, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now that I look at it, the solder in that unused IDE connector's through-holes looks melted... the stock photo reflects how it would look normally IRL. So perhaps something in that area did get super hot indeed...

Reply 7 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That looks like a burned trace rather than something that had been corroded, especially seeing how a transistor has burned also (that 8 pin chip). There's a short on the board.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 8 of 8, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

nono wait, the transistor looks like burned because when i took the photo i used flux on all that area.
i placed flux on all that area to do sodering on the resistor pins to check them out, but i forgot to remove the flux.

the reason why i think it leaked is because this is the normal position of the motherboard in the pc case.
that in yellow was how the dark brown goo formed. see how it looks like it fell on top, and then on the bottom the drop was bigger. besides it was a very sticky goo.

aaa.jpg