VOGONS

First post, by Vikingo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I have a Pentium 166MMX build for DOS and some Windows 98SE games. Now i have several options to build a new rig. There are my processor options:

- Pentium III 800mhz
- Pentium 4 HT 2.4c
- Pentium 4 2.4
- Athlon XP 2000+ (AX2000DMT3C)
- Duron 1600 (DHD1600DLV1C)
- Sempron 2200+ (SDA2200DUT3D)

With one you recommend? What should i need to look for?

Many thanks!

Follow me on twitter @cristian. 🤣

Reply 2 of 11, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are looking for a single rig for 98SE and XP, then the P4-HT is probably what I would go with as well - it's the most powerful of this bunch, and the motherboards still have good support for Win98.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some of the vary last socket A boards also convert down from 12V for core voltage but you would have to be fairly picky.

There are some Windows titles that have trouble with high clocked CPUs, so I'd personally look for something that's under 2 Ghz or, ideally, has a downward unlocked multiplier.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 11, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I honestly don't see the point of a dual-core system if its gonna have Win98 (which can't take advantage of that), but either of the 2.4s should be fine for your needs.

Also gonna recommend Plop Boot Manager if you're not already using it. I love that thing.

(You probably saw that I just built a PC of my own which is just like what you're trying to do. I had to deal with some quirks but its finished and its awesome)

Reply 6 of 11, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
EdmondDantes wrote:

Also gonna recommend Plop Boot Manager if you're not already using it. I love that thing.

I'm gonna recommend just sticking with NTLDR. You know - install Win98 SE, then install WinXP on a different partition, and let the WinXP boot manager (NTLDR) manage your boot menu. I love simplicity and a minimum number of extra tools. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 7 of 11, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I too have recently done something similar, but with Windows ME instead of Windows 98. 2.8 GHz Northwood. No need for anything faster (and hotter).

This reminds me, is Windows XP incapable of using 5.25" drives? Windows ME detects the drive but XP doesn't. (The drive is DD not HD.)

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 8 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Duel boot? yeh the P4 HT based on a 865 or 875 chipset. (no real world difference)
P4P800 motherboards were highly regarded back in the day so built mine around one of those and works well enough in 98

Reply 11 of 11, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

9x does not have support for multiprocessors and it will just ignore any other cores.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif