VOGONS

First post, by m1chelsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a problem with my Pentium III 933 / 512 MB RAM / Voodoo 3 3000 build. The BIOS battery dies after around 1-2 weeks. In the beginning it messes up the time in Windows (2000), and a day or 2 after that, the computer looses the BIOS settings.

053_V3%2B3000%2Bbuild.jpg

I have tried with different battery brands, and the problem is the same.
The motherboard is from a Compaq Deskpro.
I do turn of the power completely when i don´t use the computer (at the wall).

I know that these batteries should last for many years without problems, so i suspect there is some problem with the motherboards (or maybe the PSU?)? Have some of you experienced similar issues, and found the problem? Could it be, that Compaq for instance uses rechargeable batteries (ML2032), or other Compaq specifik issues?

[ Console collecting blog: www.KonsolTing.blogspot.dk ] // [ Retro PC trading blog: www.3DfxQuest.blogspot.dk ]

Reply 1 of 6, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What model Deskpro is that? Could be using another CMOS battery that they had inside their machines instead of the CR2032's. Or, it could be a rechargeable lithium ML2032. Worst case scenario, a cold, cracked, or bad solder joints under the battery clip itself. Check for corrosion and clean it off with DeoxIt since corrosion can cause the battery to die faster than usual, and re-flash the BIOS chip as well since that might be another issue.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 2 of 6, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try to put a multimeter between the battery and the board.
Tell us how many milliamperes your board draws from the battery.

It should be a few microamperes.

Reply 3 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I built a computer for my aunt that had an odd problem - whenever I would move it, it would clear the CMOS. I finally discovered that I had a standoff that didn't have a corresponding hole in the motherboard, and when it was jostled it would ground out the motherboard, clearing the CMOS memory. If it had been a little tighter it would have quickly discharged the battery, so I would make double sure you don't have an unnecessary standoff between the case & the motherboard.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 4 of 6, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:

Worst case scenario, a cold, cracked, or bad solder joints under the battery clip itself. Check for corrosion and clean it off with DeoxIt since corrosion can cause the battery to die faster than usual, and re-flash the BIOS chip as well since that might be another issue.

How can any of the above "cause the battery to die faster than usual"?

Reply 5 of 6, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any problem with the solders can increase the resistance in ohms, so it will draw more power from the battery. Buggy BIOS can left some devices from the board awake, but I guess that would have been noted long before.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Buggy BIOS can certainly cause this. GVC's FR520 was notorious for it, until you updated to the last BIOS for the board, it ate the CR-2032s faster than you could put them in there. Never heard of a specific issue with Compaq systems, but worth checking if there is a newer BIOS that specifically fixes this kind of issue...