VOGONS

First post, by Ageve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there any downside to changing the VIO jumper from the default 3.4v to 3.3v?

I haven't thought about it before, but noticed it today in the BIOS (HW monitor shows
+3.44v). I measured the +3.3v from the PSU (3.32v) before finding out about the jumper.

Did Asus set it to 3.4v to improve overclocking stability, or is it needed at stock speed?

I'm asking since I don't want to fry my Voodoo3, SB-Live, HDDs etc.

CPU: Tualatin PIII-S 1.4GHz (512kB)
Motherboard revision: 1.04
BIOS: 1011
RAM: 512MB PC133
PSU: Corsair CX750M

Attachments

• tuslc_vio.jpg
    Filename
    tuslc_vio.jpg
    File size
    168.14 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It clearly says that you should leave it at the 3.40V setting. It's common that voltages are a bit higher since they drop once the power rail is loaded. This way, you get the correct voltage. You can probably lower it if you haven't much load on the 3.3V rail, but +0.1V won't kill your hardware, while -0.1V may cause instability.

Reply 2 of 6, by Ageve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply. You're probably right.

I just find it strange that the 3.3v setting is there, if it's not needed. The voltage reading is higher compared to other motherboards I have (Abit BH6, Aopen AX6C, Fujitsu Siemens D1215, Abit IS7-E and E2 etc).

Reply 3 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's stable - leave it at 3.3v. Undervolting never hurts.

I just find it strange that the 3.3v setting is there, if it's not needed

ASUS made 3.4v as a default value for overclocking headroom. Which is blatantly stated in the manual.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote:

ASUS made 3.4v as a default value for overclocking headroom. Which is blatantly stated in the manual.

Are we looking at the same manual? Because it states the opposite. You should leave it at 3.40V unless processor overclocking requires a higher voltage (which would be 3.60V then).

Reply 5 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Because it states the opposite.

It does not mention nominal speed at all and only warns about risk of using 3.6v to improve overclocking. 3.4v is assumed as safe to use value for overclocking.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2018-08-12, 11:33. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 6, by Ageve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Are we looking at the same manual? Because it states the opposite. You should leave it at 3.40V unless processor overclocking requires a higher voltage (which would be 3.60V then).

It's a bit confusing, and having 3.4v as the default is like saying "leave this 1.4GHz CPU
at the default 1.45GHz" 😉

(since 3.3v is the standard for I/O)

But as derSammler said, perhaps it's just a compensation for voltage drop.