First post, by ruthan
We dont have only good days.. I today killed SB Audigy- good Win98 one.. i dont know how its possible, but return to one of my lair and turn on my test bench.. it was not working, i few times, switched PSU and it finally turn on.. after few second.. bad smell and smoke.. I find out that card to in half in slot and half of PCI connector was in front of slots.. i was probably lastime very hurry, or did it automatically..
Slot survived, card doesnt.. Left channel is dead and some burn contacts in PCI connector.
My Honorable mentions from the past:
- its ~17 years - VLB Videocard + 486 MB board, i tried to press it more firmly into slot when pc was running.. - sparks..
- last year i placed 3Com PCI Gigabit Nic in opposite direction to PCI-E to PCI bridge..
- 12 years back i had some issues with my machine, needed to test MB and i killed testing CPU (main and only one of my friend) in process in thing that it was some Athlon without cover and small part of main part fell apart.. I think that cost me maybe 100,150 bucks..
- ~14 years back, I bough new refurbished PSU it was really silent, i enjoyed it a lot, played WoW whole day, after it crashed, PSU dead.. i found out that during some re-connections i pulled out his fan cable which should be connected to MB, otherwise fan was not spinning
- its not kill, but.. I build computer for my friend, i called him that everything is ready, i wanted to add some icing to the cake and tried to change boot image with original utility i thing that i was from Gigabyte or Asus and after reboot nothing.. only single bios broken and 40 kilometer to vendor and no car at the time..
- i also killed i at least one MB with wrong Bios file.. but it was quite usual.
- 2018/07 - I killed Broadcom 5721M, these 1x PCI-E cards, are always clunky and i just had MB on table and no proper test bench
Especially "funny" are some unintentional killer parts, when you kill some parts in process to discover that you caught some serial killer.. Its always "nice" catch, i heard about them, but never that one of them (probably).
Retro is here everything what not standard current product in your computer vendor catalog, but its like in Carmageddon there are better and worse kills.. More rare item and bizarre accident is better. You can get bonus for artistic impression, Extra style bonus, Splatter bonus, combo bonus or killing spree(kill other computers by fiddling with other one..)!!
Stories when you purposely destroyed some naughty HW in some angry rage are welcomed too..
Im not robot so i do mistakes and i often thinking about lots of things, is just hobby and if dead part is not too expensive its fine. I want to know your stories..
Your serial killer..
Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.