VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have always wanted to build a really good WinNT 3x computer.
So I built a WinNT 351 computer.
Why 351?
Built in Networking and TCP/IP and default MS apps.

Computer specs:
Motherboard - Intel Slot-1 BX440 with Award BIOS.
CPU - Intel P3 500mhz.
Ram 64mb. ( two 32mb. sticks )
Audio - Sound Blaster AWE 64 ( ISA ) ( Sound blaster 16 compatible driver provided by Microsoft ).
Networking - Intel 10/100 - PCI
Graphics - S3 trio64 - PCI ( default drivers )
Sony Slot loading CDROM
Floppy

So I have it all built and running good.
everything works fine.

I an currently using the built in Sound blaster 16 compatible driver provided by Microsoft.
Which also works with SB Vibra 16. However the AWE 64 sounds better.

What recommendation do you suggest for this build as far as RAM and Software and drivers go ?
I would like to use it to play video's and games, and music.

What are some good apps to have ?
What are some necessary drivers ?
What are some good video and audio apps to have ?

Attachments

• IMG_0112.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0112.JPG
    File size
    1.66 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_0097.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0097.JPG
    File size
    1001 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • bx440-mobo.jpg
    Filename
    bx440-mobo.jpg
    File size
    656.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0084.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0084.jpg
    File size
    560.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2018-08-25, 12:08. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm aware that for some people, Windows NT simply isn't their cup of tea, but for me it's a pretty interesting system. I actually have Windows NT Workstation 3.51 installed on my Pentium MMX rig (at the top of my signature) for playing around with.

The most interesting Windows NT 3.51 application (in my opinion) is Firefox 2.0.0.22pre which is a web browser from 2008, it may not do much by today's standards due to how the internet has changed, but it still has a bit of life left if you enjoy looking at basic HTML websites - including this forum. 😉

This web page has some pretty interesting info regarding application compatibility for Windows NT 3.51 (and also Windows 3.1x).

Windows NT doesn't have much to offer in terms of gaming since DirectX support wasn't maintained until Windows 2000, I suppose you can run some 2D games and maybe some Windows 3.1x era games on it.

There's a built-in audio CD player application so if you have a collection of Music CDs, you can listen to them on your Windows NT rig. I believe there's some old version of WinAmp that's compatible with Windows NT 3.51.

AFAIK you don't need any special drivers for your S3 Trio 64 video card. As for the Sound Blaster AWE64, the official Creative Windows NT drivers were intended for NT 4.0 so I have no idea if they'll work with NT 3.51, at the very least you can use it as a Sound Blaster 16 with the included drivers.

Hopefully you have fun with your Windows NT 3.51 rig.

Reply 2 of 15, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is 64mb. of ram enough or should I add more ?

What are some good and necessary apps to have for video and audio ?

I have tcp/ip networking working., Internet browsers IE and Netscape working.

Reply 3 of 15, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps Photoshop 4.0?

Not sure about NT 3.51, but on my NT 4.0 system, I have the following installed:

Acrobat 5
Autoruns
Cambridge Dictionary
Cerberus FTP
Everest
EZ SCSI
Firefox 2
Modbin
Mp3 directcut
Process Explorer
Sound Forge
Webster's dictionary
Winamp
Winrar
ACDSee Classic
Apache
Boarland C++
Continuum
Convert
DosBox .72
Filezilla
Firefox 2
Flash Renamer
K-Melon 1.5.4
Opera
Partition Magic 6
Pirch32
Quicktime 2.12
Remote Desktop
Uptime
VNC 4.12
VoptNT 3.00
Win Image 6.1
Word Web 4.50
WinMd5Sum
Xchat 1.8.11
Xing
ZTree 2.10
IE 6 sp1
Adaptec ASPI 4.71
Directx3
Directx5-beta
DPMS screen saver
Office 97
NT4 SP6 updates
FAT32 for NT4
Flash Player 7r73
Hook99
Javx MS 1.1.4
PICVideo
Tweakui 1.33
UDF Reader 1.03
WMP 6.4

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 6 of 15, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you can pretty much forget about games. NTVDM cannot properly run most dos games, IIRC compatibility is even worse than in NT 4 or higher since it is even more rudimentary. Windows games are somewhat better but many 3.1 games will simply crap out on it. DirectX games you can forget at all, 3.51 does not support directX of any kind. Which is not too much of an issue since getting drivers for 3d capable videocards is pretty much impossible. Good luck finding sound drivers outside of the default ones as well. You' will need it. There was just not much support at all from hardware vendors, at least for most consumer hardware.

NT 3.51 is not much fun to play around with. It is way too limited for desktop use thanks to most software not working properly on it and It is utterly unsuitable for any form of gaming and very limited for pretty much anything media related.

It is however pretty good for light office work and basic networking. Companies appreciated the, lets say, lack of distractions...

Reply 7 of 15, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

here is a good link for NT3.51 tweaks/hacks/info https://bearwindows.zcm.com.au/winnt351.htm

I got it to boot from a FAT32 partition on a Pentium M with 768MB of RAM. I found an NT4 driver for the Soundmax AC97 and got it to work in 3.51 (only the PCM, no MIDI synth) but I had to start the service manually after booting or else it would cause a crash. The universal VESA video driver mentioned on that page works fine but on the slow side. The universal ATA disk driver trashed my partition when I tried it on a 440BX board (twice) so I was not inclined to try it again.

As for media, you can add L3CODECA.ACM (MP3 decoder), and XVID VFW codec (MPEG4 decoder) and play some WAV/AVI files. Maybe Vorbis would work too but I haven't tried it.

Reply 8 of 15, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NT 3.51 is nice to play around with, but you'll probably get bored with it quite quickly due to lack of software & hardware support. I'd say 64MB RAM is more than enough to run that. You could probably get by with half of that RAM.

Also the specs you've chosen would generally be wasted on NT 3.51. A motherboard & CPU of that caliber is closer to the Windows 2000 era, so I'd probably dual boot with something more useful. If I was going to build a dedicated NT 3.51 system though, I'd probably be looking at 486 or early Pentium class hardware.

Reply 10 of 15, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I understand it is not period correct. But with this config it is really easy to setup and everything works except the USB.
With a NEWer bios, PCI slots, and built in ports. It's a breeze to setup with WinNT351. All vanilla default drivers.

I am having problems getting the correct serial cables and the bios limitations is always a challenge on my 486 and Socket 7 builds.

Reply 14 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:

you're not having fun unless you're battling BIOS limitations

With NT prior to 4 sp4, it's driver limitations. 8gb max recognized IDE HDD size.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 15 of 15, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can confirm that Office 97, Photoshop 4.0, and IE 5 work on my NT 3.51 installation. I haven't tried any more software yet.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.